need help with entry-level O/U shotguns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't do much shotgunning, but I've always wanted an O/U. I want to keep it low-end, at least for now. I've been looking (mainly on gunbroker) and I am amazed at how many different brands are out there. I've found a bunch under $500... CZ, Stoeger, Stevens 512, Remington Spartan, Marlin 90, Valmet, Savage 330 and on and on, including some I had never even heard of. I know we have some serious shotgunners here, and I would appreciate your input. What brands offer the best value? Which ones would you stay away from? I would prefer single selective trigger and screw-in choke tubes. Thanks for your help!

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks, man! I figured any of the CZ's would probably be a good bet.

I was told by a dealer who handles several different ones that the Stevens Model 512 is probably the greatest value for the money. Anybody have any experience with these?

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it depends on how much you plan on shooting. ocassionally? skeet weekly?, skeet or trap league, hunting only?

at our club, and many people can attest to this, the $500 over and unders just do not hold up. more than one guy has had their gun in the shop over three times. some of these guns are still not working.

problems are failure to fire, both barrels going off at once are most common.

a few guys have the stogers for hunting, that is not a lot of rounds shot per year, and they seem to hold up. just i have seen the wood on stogers break - this is not common.

if you plan to shoot skeet, trap, sporting clays on a weekly basis, then nothing beats a quality shotgun. u can shoot them for years, take care of them and get most of your money out of it.

two friends, one bought a stevens and one a charles daily, pretty good looking guns, after a few trips to the shop, and spending more that the guns cost, they still do not work and no one wants to buy them.

cannot beat a browning o/u IMO.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I anticipate only occasional use. I have never shot skeet/trap/sporting clays. My only shotgunning has been bird hunting, and some infrequent informal clay. IF I were to get involved with some of the formal shotgunning sports, I would definitely consider a higher class shotgun.

jhunt

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a former shotgunning competitor shooting 3-500 plus rounds per week from a scattergun I can attest to what probusiness said. Sometimes you can find a diamond in the rough by visiting a few shotgun ranges. For example I was able to find a browning citori 12ga sporting with 28" ported barrels adjustable comb and 20ga 28ga and .410 tubes for $2000 back when I was competing year round in 3 different high school leagues.

I'd look around for some of the higher end o/u guns that are entry level high ends with maybe a little more character marks on them that can be refinished for slightly inexpensive prices

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
The CZ will be a good choice for what you're wanting to do with it. I've shot the Bakail's(Spartans) as well, (couple thousand rounds through a 12g and a 16g with no problems) they just don't fit/feel as well the CZ. Check out Gene Sears in El Reno, sometimes you can catch a higher end shotgun for a good price. I have a CZ and an Italian Fausti if you want to try before you buy. Verona makes a nice 28g in the $1000 range as well.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The CZ will be a good choice for what you're wanting to do with it. I've shot the Bakail's(Spartans) as well, (couple thousand rounds through a 12g and a 16g with no problems) they just don't fit/feel as well the CZ. Check out Gene Sears in El Reno, sometimes you can catch a higher end shotgun for a good price. I have a CZ and an Italian Fausti if you want to try before you buy. Verona makes a nice 28g in the $1000 range as well.

Thanks for the offer, Bobby. I might have to do that. I have been seriously thinking about making a trip to Gene Sears, but I'm almost afraid to ... I might leave there too light in the wallet!

Latest posts

Top Bottom