Need help with gun value - Ruger Vaquero .44-40

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This pistol was my Dad's and know for certain less than 1 box of ammo shot through it. I've looked at True Gun Value and Gun Broker but didn't find a good enough match to warrant a starting price. Serial number lookup says "shipped in 1994". Part of the reason for my asking is how much some pitting on the cylinder will affect pricing. Dad kept the pistol in his safe BUT it was in the leather holster which caused the damage. Zoom in can see it in the second picture.

4 5/8" barrel, holster and partial box of ammo.

What would be a fair price for this pistol and holster? I know the holster isn't valued at much but will be a package deal. My guess would be $700-800 but would like to hear from those with more experience.

Thanks!!
Ruger 1.jpg
Ruger 2.jpg
Ruger 3.jpg
Holster 1.jpg
Holster 2.jpg

Hooper

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very nice.

44-40 vaquero with minor pitting on the cylinder, probably won't discount your price to much.
They are not rare but they are hard to find in 44-40, made by Ruger. Less nearly always means more when it comes to value.

45 colt seems to be the most common in the cowboy guns, and they hold value pretty well.

I have been reading up on 44 mag revolvers. I would shoot 44 special if I get one.
The Python got me hooked on revolvers.
Have not stepped into Cowboy guns yet, have thought about it.

I bet there are some SASS shooters who would Love that jewel. If you had a pair of 44-40's you could name your price.

Uncle TK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Ruger 44-40 has the 44 Mag barrel (0.429) (Proper barrel is 0.427)
They made 44 Mag & 44-40 dual cylinders (44-40 did not group because of the 0.429 barrel

Give the holster to someone you do not like. The pitting on the gun is caused by chrome tanning.
You only want leather from Herman Oaks Tannery. The old Fashing way that does not pit the firearms

Latest posts

Top Bottom