1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Need help with removal of front sight assembly on FR-8 Spanish Mauser

Discussion in 'Military Surplus' started by henschman, Sep 4, 2012.

1. henschman

henschman Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Howdy,

I recently acquired a nice FR-8. I am wanting to install an XS-Clifton scout mount, which completely encircles the barrel. To get it installed, I need to remove the front sight assembly (which is the same piece as used on the CETME battle rifle). I got the retaining pin (also the front sling mount) out, but the front sight assembly still won't budge by pounding on it with a hammer and wood block. Has anyone done this job before? Do you know if it is soldered on?

I am wanting to go with the XS mount because it doesn't require drilling and tapping, or any other permanent modification to the rifle. Like I said it is a very nice rifle, and I'd like to be able to turn it back to original if I want. I am going to use a synthetic stock so I don't have to cut out the original wood to clear the mount.

If I can't get this front sight off, my only other option is to drill and tap and use a T/C Encore scope mount on the barrel instead of the XS. I really don't want to do this... any advice would be appreciated, and you may be helping me save a nice mil surp from Bubba henschman's drill!

2. ronny

ronny Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Be patient! I've never owned an FR-8, but had a friend who did. I seem to recall he had a lot of trouble adjusting the front sight and, at one time, considered removing it, but couldn't figure it out.

They have a "set screw" which must be removed to adjust it. Is that the retaining pin you're talking about? My guess is that that pin/screw must be removed and then the thing has probably time-pressed itself on there. I'd soak it a lot with penetrating oil. Also, it may be that you have to remove that fake gas tube at the same time.

Not much help. Sorry. I think SurplusRifles has a Spanish Mauser section.

3. henschman

henschman Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    The pin I removed is not the retaining pin for the front sight post -- it is the piece that has the little loop for the "HK hook" sling mount to clip on. It also pins the front sight base to the barrel. I am not just trying to remove the front sight post -- I am wanting to knock the whole tri-frame front sight assembly off the barrel. Maybe some penetrating oil will help.

4. gaseous maximus

gaseous maximus Sharpshooter

Don't know about the FR8, but ever mauser that I have removed the front sight from, ( and rear as well), were soft soldered in place. The screw mainly serves to locate the base in the proper position. A propane tourch supplies enough heat to melt the solder. I,m guessing I've probably done a couple hundred or so.

5. henschman

henschman Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    OK, I tried hitting it for a while with a butane lighter and nothing dripped out... I will go pick up some MAPP gas and see if I have any better luck.

6. milsurp2.0

milsurp2.0 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Butane lighter? You mean a cigarette lighter? It's going to have to get alot hotter than that. I dont know if the means justify the ends here.

7. henschman

henschman Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    OK I got the front sight off -- it was indeed soldered on. I had to torch the FSB for a while with MAP gas to melt the solder. I rotated a table vise so the jaws overhung the bench, and set pieces of wood on top of the jaws so I could rest the ears of the front sight base on either side with the barrel hanging down in between the jaws with the muzzle pointing up. Once I got the FSB good and hot, where the solder was boiling and sputtering, I put a wood block over the muzzle and gave it a good whack with a shop hammer and it popped the front sight base loose. No problemo. Also, with the help of the vise, the flash hider spun off with no problems. Coming up next: installation of the XS-Clifton mount. Also I noticed that YHM makes their phantom QD flash hider in HK/FR-8 thread pattern... I think I will replace the factory FH with one. This is going to be one sweet little scout rifle when I am done.

8. Lurker66

Lurker66 Sharpshooter

Please post a pic when ur done. I have an FR8 but am happy enough with the sights.

9. NikatKimber

NikatKimber Moderator Staff Member

Rating
    100%
    Yes please!

10. henschman

henschman Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    OK, will do... completion is delayed a little bit because I accidentally ordered the wrong size XS scout mount. :homer: It just arrived today and will not fit over the 1st step of the barrel, as required. When I get the right one it will definitely give me a nice low forward rail though... it should co-witness a low-mounted red dot with the factory irons nicely, once the front sight is re-installed. I also like the factory irons, but why not have optics too? I am all about options! I am still waiting on the synthetic stock too.

Can anyone say Evil Black Bolt Action Rifle? :mean: