Need Hunting Shotgun Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigRed82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really appreciate all of the great input I've received from you all so far. Please keep it coming.

I have a lot of family up in KS, hence the pheasant interest. My relations seem to have an easy time finding dove and whatnot. Connections to rural KS areas I guess.

I've visited H&H a couple times recently to handle their shotguns. They don't have the Browning Silver unfortunately, but I did get to handle the SX3, 391, and 3901 today. Oh, and I did handle the Citori - very very sweet. I'll have to get one at some later date.

So now I'm trying to decide between the 3901 Statesman or Citizen, the 391 Urika 2, and the SX3. From what I've read, reliability is pretty much par for all of these. As far as fit, they all seemed to "fit" the same. Decisions Decisions. :scratch:

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, you know what I am going to say, and you know how well you shot my Browning.

I also agree with what ProBusiness said "to find a gun that you shoot well u might have to buy, shoot and trade a few before u find the one."
I too had to do this. I had Remington 11, 1100, Franchi, Mossberg, etc, of all sizes and styles and I shot ok with them, but couldn't hit well enough with them to be pleased with them. Until I traded off the Remington Model 11 and got the Browning BPS, best gun transaction I have ever made I think. That is the first shotgun I have ever owned that I went 20 for 20 on shooting clays the very first time out. This is the gun that fits me, and I will not be letting it go any time soon.

I have also had some semi-autos that were very ammo picky. Or rather load picky. I had to keep switching the bushing and spring around depending on what I was shooting. One doesn't have to worry about that with a pump. Oh, and just for the record, I don't think that a 12 guage pump has that much recoil, I could mine all day long if needed. Besides, if you go game bird hunting, you are not going to notice any recoil when you shoot a bird every now and then.

For your price range, I think your shopping selection is pretty good with the Beretta, SX3, and the Franchi I-12 are all awesome. Don't forget to look at the Benelli line for the higher end of your price range. The lower end of your price range will included the Remingtons, and BPS, and I also like the Ithica Light 12.

Keep me informed cus'.

BigRed82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I was surprised at how easy it was to shoot with that BPS. Unfortunately, the only thing I have to compare to it so far is just Tim's tactical 870 - not the best tool for shooting skeet what with those ghost sights! :)

Looks like I could get the Beretta 3091 Citizen w/ the synthetic stock for about $770.

So I'm looking at New:
$520ish for a BPS.
$700ish for an 870 Wingmaster
$770ish for a 3901 Citizen (synthetic)
$910ish for either the 391 Urika 2 (synthetic) or the 3901 Statesman (wood)
$920ish for the Browning Silver hunter.
And hitting my max at $1000 for the Winchester SX3.

I gotta say, that 3901 Citizen kinda stands out as the best value buy. It lacks nice wood, but I'm looking at almost $140 difference between it and the Statesman. Definitely the BPS seems like the most economical choice, but it sure weighs a bunch compared to the lightweight SX3 and 3091.

Would anyone who currently has or has had a 3901/390 care to say what you thought of it?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have 1st hand experience but for what it's worth, I'm buying one of your listed Beretta's when I'm able. Been wanting one for years. Beretta knows how to make shotguns. Their O/U's are just dreamy but more than I want to spend.

ENC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You haven't listed a bad shotgun yet, but I will again recommend trying to shoot it first before you buy. Fit is important.

Evan

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i own a 391 urika 12 guage 26" barrel and a 390 12 guage 30" sporting gun.

both guns are very, very good.

when you are buying a shotgun, your decision should be buy a gun that produces a good pattern, i.e shot is even distributed throughout the pattern w/o noticeable holes and the majority of shot does not go left, right, up or down. Not all shotguns are alike. When u guy a higher price shotgun what you are buying that you can't see is the percision and engineering and manufacturing to make a good barrel. this is why i do not like 870 express. no quality control on barrels and they do not pattern well.

difference between a 391, 390 and 3901. the 391, 390 has a 'cut off' switch/lever on the left side of receiver. when pushed, you pull back the bolt with your right hand, the shell that was in the chamber comes out, the bolt is locked back, and the shells that are in the magazine are not distrubed. your gun is unloaded. it cannot fire. u need to unload your gun when hunting when crossing fences, get in and out of trucks, handing it to another person, etc. very handy when hunting.

the 3901 and other semis and pumps, once you start unloading the shell from the chamber you have to unload the shells from the magazine as well as the system feeds them. this is a general stmt. there are some exceptions.

all i am saying is the the cut off lever is very handy when hunting all day.

www.gunbroker. com usually has some good deals on 391, 390, and 3901.
i have seen wood 391, 390 go for 500 at lowest to 800. there are also very good deals on 3901 synthetic from 300 to 400.

beretta 390, 391, and the 3901s i have seen have crome lined barrels. this is good.

at competitive skeet events, the only semis i see are 391, 390, 1100, and1187. These men practice and drive a long ways to compete and take it seriously. they are shooting proven guns.

synthetic gun stocks are hard to adjust. if you are over 6'2" with long neck and arms, u will probably need to adjust your gun to fit you. if you are 5'11" to 5'6" a stock gun will probably work. if shorter and stocky then a stock gun may be too long and you need to shorten the stock. a synthetic stock is harder to work with than a wood stock.

when u guy your gun, take it out and pattern it. shoot it like a rifle where you aim and hold it. u can use a rest if u want. get poster board/paper and make a 30" circle (i think) and shoot it from 30 yards. do this at least 5 times with the same choke - i would use a modified. use a new pattern each time. then same thing from 40 yards. count the number of pellets inside of the 30" circle and see if there are any definite repetitive 'holes' in your patterns. your gun should not produce holes or a denser pattern on right left up or down. if it does, u have a problem shotgun. e-mail me and we can discuss it.

bass pro and walmart have been having good sales on 3901 in aug before dove season opening on 9/1 the last few years. i say walmart because they will match prices.

also, another very good pump gun, the price is very affordable, is a mossberg 835 ( i think) pump. on sale at academy on aug for 140 - 150. very reliable and they knock down a lot of birds. my son has shot his 3901 in the moring and his 835 in the afternoon with same results. synthetic gun and you can resell for a decent price. also you can get an 18" barrel for home defense.

if you plan to shoot skeet, you will not like a pump.

there is a skeet club in guthrie. those guys are very friendly. go out and tell them you are new and thinking about what gun to shoot and i would not be suprised it you don't get four or five handed to you to try.

good luck.

whiskeysnoot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Find a nice used 1100 or 11-87. The 1100 has been a mainstay in upland hunting for decades. No one can legitimately scoff at that selection.

Use the extra money you save to buy cases of shells and range time for practice. This is much more important than the endless debates over minor differences amongst models and brands.

After you have become a pretty fair wingshot, sell the 1100 for at least what you paid (if you want, you'll probably keep it) and step up to one of your other selections.

Remember, you'll look much cooler showing up with a used gun that you can shoot well than having a $1000 gun that you can't hit squat with.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
i carried remington 1100's and 11-87 for 20 years.they have the most all around fit for most and shoot great.many ducks, geese,pheasants and quail have lost the battle to my guns.but,i stepped off and bought a used benelli m2 from a neighbor for 800 .i knew the round count and it was less than 300.he only shot clays with it.being the self proclaimed tight#$$ that i am,i had buyers remorse right away.today,its the best 800 i ever spent.took it to kansas this year for the pheasant opener and what an awesome gun.for the weight and pointability its money well spent.

Latest posts

Top Bottom