What is your favorite hunting shotgun ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To be honest I'd never heard of a Winchester 1911 shotgun and I had to do a little Googling on it.

Apparently it was nicknamed the "Widowmaker" and "Headbuster" because of it being dangerous on both ends.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/guns/worst-shotgun-ever-winchester-model-1911/
View attachment 426142

View attachment 426143

I’ve seen one of those. I had an uncle that owned one but I never saw him shoot it. Everyone shot A5’s except my grandpa and he shot a model 12.

I don’t guess I ever really knew what it was, until today.

enuf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Depends. My dad, in his off time was a gardener and wood worker - gardening time he gardened wintertime he woodworked. Although I have a couple of old family guns, noting nostalgic to hunt or shoot with. For me it depends on what I am hunting and my mood and my company.

- first, I determine what I am hunting
- second, I consider the weather
- third, I consider the terrain
- now, if it's camo clothes then it'll most likely be my SBEII
- non camo clothes then most likely something wearing wood, but no camo, then I have to decide what gauge
- will it be an auto or O/U
- 12 or 20 or .410
- wooly terrain or nice upland field grounds
- what will my buds be bringing (need the uniform, right 😎)

I think part of my problem is - I am a shotgun guy and just may have too many options.

If this was a "what rifle question, much less complicated for me.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Although I don't get to hunt much anymore, my favorite will always be a Remington 1100 12 gauge. That is what my dad had when I was a kid and I always used it when he wasn't hunting with me.

I would give about anything to have that gun but unfortunately it was stolen along with many others when I was 14.

I always keep an eye out for a nice one for sale but like a lot of things these days they seem to bring more than I'm willing to pay.

I did a lot of hunting with a borrowed Mossberg 500 and I once was able hold my own with some shotgun shooting champions and their multi thousand dollar setups on a pheasant hunt.

08H3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well considering I only have 2 shotguns and one is a social shotty I guess mine would have to be my Browning B80. I got it from a buddy who inherited it from his grandpas estate. It came with 3 barrels; 22, 26 and 30 inch. I'll have to see if I can find a picture somewhere.

enuf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Although I don't get to hunt much anymore, my favorite will always be a Remington 1100 12 gauge. That is what my dad had when I was a kid and I always used it when he wasn't hunting with me.

I would give about anything to have that gun but unfortunately it was stolen along with many others when I was 14.

I always keep an eye out for a nice one for sale but like a lot of things these days they seem to bring more than I'm willing to pay.

I did a lot of hunting with a borrowed Mossberg 500 and I once was able hold my own with some shotgun shooting champions and their multi thousand dollar setups on a pheasant hunt.
1100's have come way-way down, almost back to normal prices - almost. Don't be scared to look.

08H3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hardly ever get it out, maybe it’s time for some squirrel and rabbit hunting…

IMG_2608.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom