Need OSA's Opinion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keyser328

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're not on-call, stop answering your phone. That fixes the issue outright. "I left it at the house." "Battery was dead." "Dog ate it, new one in the mail." You get my drift. If you're not on call, it isn't your leash (if you are on-call, welcome to my life, but my company pays without issue).

Suggest that he schedule someone from 4pm to 1am. That would be ideal - someone to cover the issue and still able to plan their lives.

Other than that, talk to him about comp time. If you work 4 hours over, then you can schedule 4 hours off in the same pay period on him (instead of OT) and you still end up with a normal balance at the end of the year.

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If you're not on-call, stop answering your phone. That fixes the issue outright. "I left it at the house." "Battery was dead." "Dog ate it, new one in the mail." You get my drift. If you're not on call, it isn't your leash (if you are on-call, welcome to my life, but my company pays without issue).

Good idea.

"We actually do charge an after hours fee, which is another thing that gets me. You charge them the fee, but then don't pay me the OT the fee is supposed to cover. "

Sounds like GREED on his part. OT is why you charge more for afterhours / rush jobs. He just want his cake and YOURS, too.

To be fair, he does pay me some overtime. Like last night, I came in at 4pm (instead of 1pm) and stayed until 3am. So I got around 3 hours of overtime, but not the 6 I feel would have been more fair (had I come in at 1pm).

arenathlete

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you work 4 hours over, then you can schedule 4 hours off in the same pay period on him (instead of OT) and you still end up with a normal balance at the end of the year.

Federal overtime issues are calculated on a PER WEEK basis, not per pay period: be that weekly, bi-weekly or bi-monthly

Let me post it for you

Labor Department=s Wage & Hour
Frequently Asked Questions
Office of Labor Commissioner Mark Costello
Oklahoma Department of Labor
Employment Standards Division, Wage & Hour Unit
www.labor.ok.gov
1. How do I file a wage claim for wages and benefits?
Employers must set regular pay dates within eleven (11) days of the end of the pay period. Employers have an
additional three (3) days after regularly scheduled pay date to issue payment. To file a wage claim for earned, due
wages (including benefits), contact a labor compliance officer at the Oklahoma Department of Labor=s wage and
hour unit in our Oklahoma City office, 405-521-6100, or 888-269-5353, or at the Tulsa office, 918-581-2400.
Or, you can download a wage claim form from www.labor.ok.gov.
2. Are breaks and lunch periods mandatory?
Neither federal nor state law require employers to provide breaks to employees age 16 or older. Mandatory break
laws only apply to children under the age of 16. Breaks and lunch periods are considered benefits and remain at
the discretion of the employer.

3. What is the current minimum wage?
The federal and state minimum wage of $7.25 per hour has been in effect since July 24, 2009.
4. Are all employers required to pay minimum wage?
No. Unless otherwise covered by federal wage and hour laws, an Oklahoma employer must comply with state
minimum wage laws if the company has at least 10 full-time employees or equivalent and/or grosses more than
$100,000 annually.
5. How often does an employer have to pay employees?
Every employee (except exempt employees) shall be paid all wages due at least twice each calendar month. State,
county, municipal and exempt employees shall be paid a minimum of once each calendar month.
6. Is my employer required to offer benefits?
Oklahoma has no mandatory benefits law. However, if the employer has an established policy providing for
benefits, the employee may or may not be eligible depending upon the employer=s eligibility criteria. Read your
employee handbook for specific policies at your workplace.
7. Is my employer required to pay overtime?
If the company is required to comply with Federal wage and hour laws, time and one half should be paid to
non-exempt employees for all hours worked over 40 in the work week. Contact the U. S. Department of Labor at
1-866-487-9243 for more information.

8. Is my employer allowed to require me to work past my scheduled hours?
Employers have the right to schedule the minimum and maximum number of hours that employees may or may
not work. Employers can change employees' hours without notice and may require employees to work overtime.
9. Electronic Payment of wages
On November 17, 2009, the Oklahoma Attorney General issued a formal opinion, Attorney General Opinion 09-
31, regarding payment of wages by electronic means. The payment of wages due an employee by electronic
means is governed by the Federal Electronic Fund Transfer Act (“EFTA”) (15 U.S.C. §§ 1693-1693r). See 15
U.S.C. § 1693q. The regulation implementing the EFTA, 12 C.F.R. §§ 205-205.18, and the Official Staff Interpretations supplementing Regulation E (12 C.F.R. pt. 205, supp. I) provide additional authority in the
application of the EFTA to electronic wage payments. See Ford Motor Credit Co. v. Milhollin, 444 U.S. 555,
567-68 (1980); 15 U.S.C. §§ 1693b, 1693m. The EFTA preempts state law governing consumer electronic fund
transfers to the extent that those laws are inconsistent with the EFTA and then only to the extent of the
inconsistency. See 15 U.S.C. § 1693q.
The Attorney General concluded an employer may require an employee to accept the payment of wages by direct
deposit. However, the employer cannot require a certain bank be used. If the employer’s policy only allows
employees to receive the direct deposits at a certain bank, then they cannot require the employee to use direct
deposit and must offer the option of cash or check. The employer cannot require the use of payroll debit cards.
The employee can choose to use a payroll debit card, but it must be voluntary.
Wage statements (pay stubs) do not have to be written or printed. They can be in electronic form as long as the
method of delivery places no burden on the employee in order to receive the statement. The employer cannot
post the information on the internet and require the employee to login to view the information. No other
examples of what form of delivery would be considered acceptable were listed. The burden on the employee
would depend on the factual circumstances involved.
Regardless of the method of delivery, wages must be payable on demand without discount. Employees
cannot be charged a fee to receive wages by electronic means.
10. If I give notice but don't work the time, does my employer have to pay me anyway?
Oklahoma has no mandatory severance pay law. However, as with any other benefit, severance may be payable in
accordance with the employer=s established policy. Read your employee handbook for specific policies at your
workplace.
11. If I quit or get fired, does my employer have to pay me immediately?
An employer may wait until the next regularly designated pay day regardless of whether you quit or were fired.
12. Can my employer deduct money from my paycheck?
Deductions can be legal, depending upon the circumstances. If you are concerned that your employer may be
taking illegal deductions, you should contact the state Wage & Hour Unit for more information. Employers must
sign a written agreement with employees in order to make legal deductions from employees= wages unless
deductions are made pursuant to express statutory authority, such as state and federal tax withholdings and FICA,
or pursuant to a prior valid final judgment by an employer against an employee.
13. I was scheduled to receive a pay raise but never received it. Can I file a wage claim for these back
wages?
Perhaps, you should contact the state Wage and Hour Unit for more information.
14. My employer sent me home early. Is my employer required to pay me for the time I was scheduled to
work?
Probably not as employers are only required to pay non-exempt employees for actual times worked. However,
exempt employees must typically be paid their full salary irrespective of the time actually worked. For more
information about exempt employees contact your nearest U.S. Department of Labor office.
15. I believe I am being discriminated against and/or harassed at work. What do I do?
Harassment and/or discrimination based upon constitutional protections (religion, race, disability, status as a
veteran, etc.), may be addressed to the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, 405 231-4911 or 1-
800-669-4000, www.eeoc.gov or the Oklahoma Human Rights Commission, 405 521-2360.
16. An employee has been activated to military service. Will that employee have a job when he/she returns
to work?You will need to contact the Oklahoma Military Department at 405-228-5000, www.omd.state.ok.us for further
assistance.
17. What is the prevailing wage rate in Oklahoma?
The Oklahoma Supreme Court ruled the state prevailing wage unconstitutional. For information about federal
prevailing wage, contact the U.S. Department of Labor, www.dol.gov, 866-487-9243.
18. Is my employer required to show me my personnel file if I ask to see it?
No.
19. If my employer posts a schedule, is he required to give me notice ahead of time that the schedule has
changed?
No.

20. Are wages required to be paid when an employee is on jury duty?
If the employee is a Anon-exempt@ worker wages do not have to be paid.
If the employee is an Aexempt@ worker the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) at 29 C.F.R. Sec. 541.602 states the
employer is to pay wages for the period of time the worker is absent from work due to jury duty. However, the
employer can offset any amounts received by the employee as jury fees for a particular week against the salary
due for the particular week. Furthermore, an employer having a policy stating that exempt employees who serve
on juries for an extended period of time will not be paid for workweeks in which they perform no work is
permissible.
updated 01/2011

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That whole thing is muddy. Comp time is within the same pay period in FLSA.

i thought comp time was only paid for hours worked outside the limit (i.e. anything over the 40 hour work week). I didn't think it had to do with them adjusting your schedule.

Maybe my case was unique, but working for the newspaper we would get assigned our schedule for the next week based on that week's needs. If one day meant coming in early to cover a game, you did and if it meant another day you stayed late to work you did, as well. So long as you didn't go over 40 hours, you didn't get overtime. Granted, we knew a week in advance usually, but

I am sure it's pretty rude for the employer to keep moving the schedule around at the last minute, but is there anything that guarantees the OP those starting and finishing hours? If the needs change isn't it within the employer's rights to change the schedules of those working, as well?

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
His business his rules. That simple.

You've discussed the rule with him. You both made your positions clear. He made his decision.

Accept it or move on.

ZombieHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He singled you out to be the sucker of the bunch. Don't let him take advantage of you cause it wont stop. He thinks you exist to make his life easier.

This guy....this guy gets it. Employers like that believe you are essentially his slave, and exist solely for his profit and financial gain, don't be his "go to" guy. I have found that word LITERALLY means slave.

Latest posts

Top Bottom