Need reloading data for 220 grain .308

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsd230

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, sorry for any confusion. I was specifically asking about .308 Winchester and 220 grain bullets. There are a couple of manufacturers that make a nice 220 HPBT match grade bullet, Sierra and Nosler specifically. Neither give any reloading data for it though. I thought I would give them a try along with my standard 208 grain A-Max.

bsd230

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Based on the actual Hornady data I have on the 208 grain A-Max, the above mentioned Steve's page looks to be in line with what I would expect for a 12 grain heavier bullet.

bsd230

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just for future reference for anyone else that comes across this page while reloading, here is the response from Sierra regarding their 220 grain SMK:
"35.0 to 37.0 grains of IMR 4064
Although I didn't find a listing for Varget with 220s I’d say 36.0 grains to start would be okay and work up. I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't go to 40.0 + with the light Winchester cases.
This is a very heavy bullet for the 308 and your velocities will be very modest as well, probably in the 2200 fps range. So don’t get impatient and be careful with your load workups."

Latest posts

Top Bottom