Hornady 73 grain ELDM?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't realize that the range was supervised by a guy with a bullet puller and a scale that checks everyone when shooting alone. Carry on.
How much time are you going to spend on this? I asked a question about a specific bullet. Pretty sure I was clear on that, but lets just see how we can spin this 20 different ways

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
AA2520 will get a 77 SMK up to 2750, at the upper end of loading but it is hard on brass, only 1-2 reloadings before the primer pocket is loose.

550 yards is NOT a high power certified range, 550 yds IS approximately the 500 meters of a Silhouette range which has no weight restriction. Many a Hi Power match has been won with SMK bullets, it depends on if your barrel likes them.

The AR match held at the Silhouette range, that goes out to about 550 yds at OKCGC has been won many times with a 55 grain V-Max and or Nozzler, Sierra Ballistic tip and there is no rule against them.

Bigdawg90

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don’t reload anymore but when I did I used the Sierra TMK

https://www.sierrabullets.com/product/22-caliber-77-gr-tmk/
Now I shoot Black Hills ammo loaded with it. Just an absolute tack driver out of my 16” and 18” guns. I buy the Black Hills seconds mostly and I give a buddy the brass. Really nice shooting ammo and the best bullet IMO for 1:7 ARs.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking for an alternative to my Berger 77 grain OTM. AR matches will be coming on soon and I'm down to the last 200 rounds of this loaded. Didn't have the luck with the Barnes Match Burner 77 grain BTHP like I did the Berger. I was looking at some SMK's in 77 grain and Creedmoor Sports sent an email with these ELDM's on sale for 24/100. I've found data on them with N135 and Tac (which I have) but most data work up's I read have it running over Varget.

Anyone have decent luck with these at distances up to 550?

1-7 twist 18"

Thanks in advance OSA

So to answer your question: No, nobody here has any experience with the 73s at distance...but we'll recommend every other bullet under the sun instead 😄.

Now, I'm a bit torn on this; I've had really good accuracy experience before with the 69gr SMK. Back when I shot service rifle competition, I'm pretty sure the USAMU guys were using the 69gr SMK at least at the 2, 3, and 500 yard lines.

The downsides are that (1) Hornady bullets are going to be less expensive and typically will shoot just as well as long as you're willing to play with seating depth. And (2), my last batch of 69gr SMKs had absolute horrible variance in bullet OAL...like .017 in just the 20 or so I measured. Less critical in a bolt gun, but potentially extremely critical in a magazine fed gas gun.

However, once you get into that 68-69gr range, you can expect whichever match bullet you use to be decent out to 550. Some are better than others still.

For N135, I know you can load up to the 77ish realm, but that powder has definitely served me better across the board underneath 62 - 69 gr pills.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So to answer your question: No, nobody here has any experience with the 73s at distance...but we'll recommend every other bullet under the sun instead 😄.

Now, I'm a bit torn on this; I've had really good accuracy experience before with the 69gr SMK. Back when I shot service rifle competition, I'm pretty sure the USAMU guys were using the 69gr SMK at least at the 2, 3, and 500 yard lines.

The downsides are that (1) Hornady bullets are going to be less expensive and typically will shoot just as well as long as you're willing to play with seating depth. And (2), my last batch of 69gr SMKs had absolute horrible variance in bullet OAL...like .017 in just the 20 or so I measured. Less critical in a bolt gun, but potentially extremely critical in a magazine fed gas gun.

However, once you get into that 68-69gr range, you can expect whichever match bullet you use to be decent out to 550. Some are better than others still.

For N135, I know you can load up to the 77ish realm, but that powder has definitely served me better across the board underneath 62 - 69 gr pills.
I'm probably going to save this N135 for my 62 grain loads, as it did really well with a 62 grain FMJBT out to 550 with good velocities.

I didn't have good luck with this bullet. Seating depth was pretty picky and I was barely able to get a crimp down. I had decent velocities, but nothing stable enough for me to work on a group with.

Tracking shows my 77 grain SMK's from Powder Valley should be here today. Tac should get me good velocity. I've shot my 77 Berger OTM's out to 550 and was very impressed.

Last edited:

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm probably going to save this N135 for my 62 grain loads, as it did really well with a 62 grain FMJBT out to 550 with good velocities.

I didn't have good luck with this bullet. Seating depth was pretty picky and I was barely able to get a crimp down. I had decent velocities, but nothing stable enough for me to work on a group with.

Tracking shoes my 77 grain SMK's from Powder Valley should be here today. Tac should get me good velocity. I've shot my 77 Berger OTM's out to 550 and was very impressed.

I've got a WOA barrel that I was about to give up on until I tried N135 with the Midway (Midsouth?) exclusive 62gr Hornady BTHP.

Took a 1.5 - 2 MOA barrel down to one that hovers around a half minute for five shots.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a WOA barrel that I was about to give up on until I tried N135 with the Midway (Midsouth?) exclusive 62gr Hornady BTHP.

Took a 1.5 - 2 MOA barrel down to one that hovers around a half minute for five shots.
My Ruger 556 factory 1-7 16" has never been what I would call a tac driver, but it held decent groups with a reddot at 50 and 100. When I loaded up those 62's (Hornady), it was a big enough change, that I slapped a 3-12 on it and was really impressed. I had consistent hits on the steel at 546 yards.

This 8#er should last awhile. I've loaded about 1100 rounds off it between testing and the 1000 rounds I loaded of the 62's.

Latest posts

Top Bottom