Need some advice from the guru's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doorgunner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi all,need some advice. About 2 months ago I purchased a DPMS parts kit and lower and assembled my first AR-15. It was even easier than I thought it would be. Its a 16in barrel optics ready with a gas block instead of a front sight base. I tried to post pics but dont know how. Anyway, It has no iron sight, and a cheap centerpoint. Here is where the problem comes in. I was lookng at magpul sights, but then I realized that I cant put the front sight on the gas block because plastic melts(duh!), and I cant put it on the hand guards because I have magpul moe handgaurds. So, do I get metal sights like troy or YHM, or should I get a front sight post and install it on the barrel instead of the gas block? Will this barrel even accept a front sight post? Would I be better off just getting another barrel with the post already installed? Now to the second part of the problem. I want to add a red dot type sight. Aimpoint, eotech, votertex etc... I am leaning more to the aimpoint comp3 type but am open to ideas. I would like to put one in a cantalever (if thats how you spell it). I will be using the rifle in some 3-gun matches, and for general fun, and as an all around zombie/Shtf/end of the world type of thing. I know it wont be some sniper- one shoot kill at fifty miles type of deal, just want it to be able to hit a white paper plate out to about 300yds. With all of this said, there is a problem #3. This would involve the budget (we all have one). In order to do all of this, I would be selling a FN/FAL and quite possibly a MKIII Einfield ( I know where the classified section is, just bear with me a sec). My problem is this;is all this really worth selling 2 rifles, and not just 2 rifles, but 2 great rifles, just to get another one complete the way I want. That is my biggest issue at the moment. I love my FAL, but I would also like to have my AR just the way I want it. Should I just shoot for getting the sights set up and go for the red dot later, or get the red dot and worry about the iron sights for later? I realize that everyone will say save up, do what you like, and its up to you, but realize that I have small kids and saving for anything is an act of god. so you guys help me out with my problems and save me a little sanity.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would almost guarantee that if you sold those two weapons you would eventually regret that decision. Save your money and then buy what you want when you have saved enough.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Once you have a quality red dot like an Aimpoint or Eotech on there you probably won't use the irons much at all, if any so I would say screw the irons, put an Eotech on lay-a-way at H&H or Outdoor America so you can keep your other rifles and pay $40-$50 each paycheck so it doesn't sting too bad.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah. It's crazy how many times I've seen "advice" given around here where it clearly states in the original post that certain things aren't going to work.

Read before you reply people!!!

That friggin drives me insane. I've posted several things where I'm asking a specific question (and stating that X, Y, or Z won't work) and the first thing that get's posted is "You should try X?"

Happens in PMs too.

My absolute favorite is when someone posts a question about something (and there's 3 other posts with nearly the exact same question in the title - right on the first page of that section).

Latest posts

Top Bottom