Need some advice from the guru's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
That friggin drives me insane. I've posted several things where I'm asking a specific question (and stating that X, Y, or Z won't work) and the first thing that get's posted is "You should try X?"

Happens in PMs too.

My absolute favorite is when someone posts a question about something (and there's 3 other posts with nearly the exact same question in the title - right on the first page of that section).

I think more than anything it's people trying to get their post counts up so they can have a sense of accomplishment and to use the classifieds.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The OP has been bitten by the BRD (Black Rifle Disease). The AR-15 is a very popular rifle and there are as many variations as any number of people can imagine.

Understandably cost and money availability is a factor. If you want a dot type sight, start with a low cost copy and try it out to see if you like it. Or, find someone else who has one and try theirs out. Don't just jump out there and get the highest price "quality" sight out there and pay big bucks just to find out that you don't like it. If you don't like it, you won't be out much in the way of investment.

eellis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They make a rail that bolts to the top of that hand guard to mount sights. I think pretty cheap too . After you get those sites go try 3 gun and see if it's worth selling your guns.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Assuming your gas block is railed, the simplest solution to me is get a good set of solid metal flip up front and rears...like Troy. Solid/heat resistant enough to mount on your gas block and plenty good enough to use as primary's until you can save the scratch to drop a red dot on there if that's your desired end state (IMHO, one should be capable of running irons with precision before moving up to optics anyway, but that's my personal preference)....then keep the irons on for backup in the event of optics failure/damage.

I can't/won't tell you whether or not to sell other guns in order to make this happen faster...that's entirely a personal decision based on needs/wants/financial situation.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I pretty much go with what SMS just said. One darn good thing about iron sights is that their batteries never run down. My DPMS has both the iron sights and a separate optic (holograph of some kind), and I have yet to use the optic. But then, I'm not into competitions (yet?) and don't really need it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom