New Makarov ammo by Buffalo Bore

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hope they follow through with this. Years of 9x18 shooting (I like Makarov pistols a lot) has exposed me to lots of promised new loads that never quite made the store shelves.

Another problem has been poor sales when the maker does put out a new 9x18 load. CorBon dumped their 9x18 offering at one time, as did Extreme shock. Several other companies talked about new 9x18 offerings, then didn't.

This is a great round. I think it's what the .380 would like to be. The big influx of CZ-82 pistols should help sales of 9x18, and the "pretend Makarov" pistols like the PA 63 and the P 64 (did I reverse those?) also help the demand.

I'm kind of a purist when it comes to Maks. Mine are all Bulgarian, Chinese, East German, or Soviet, and I don't have any in .380. I do have a couple of Bulgies converted to .22 which are fun to shoot.

Actually I said that wrong. The only real Makarovs are those based on the Soviet PM design. There are some variations that use the original design, and the occasional Khyber Pass knockoff. To call anything else a Makarov is like calling anything that shoots .45 ACP a 1911. Southern Ohio Gun foisted that bit of confusion on a mostly uncaring public. CB

I keep eyeing the CZ 82 . . . CB

OicnaiC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I pretty much stick to reloading my 9x18, mostly because I'm cheap and I hate shooting cheap, crappy ammo. It would be really cool to have a clean, inexpensive factory ammo to choose from though.
I've always considered "Real" Makarov pistols to be East German, Bulgarian or Russian. I've always thought for a small pistol 9x18 is an awesome little round.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I pretty much stick to reloading my 9x18, mostly because I'm cheap and I hate shooting cheap, crappy ammo. It would be really cool to have a clean, inexpensive factory ammo to choose from though.
I've always considered "Real" Makarov pistols to be East German, Bulgarian or Russian. I've always thought for a small pistol 9x18 is an awesome little round.

The Chinese one is also for real. There are a few very valuable Vietnam bringbacks made in China, and there are some commercial versions that are military weapons. These were, I think, "scrubbed" and re-marked. Both of mine have one side that looks like it has met a belt sander and was then reblued over civilian markings. That Chinese bluing is really dark and pretty.

We agree that the 9x18 is a great round. I think the extra .008 cross section adds to the performance. CB

slimjlm

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 on the CZ-82. Got one when they were still cheap and also a brick of ammo. Love it but am getting low and need a new source. Hope they come through and its affordable

Latest posts

Top Bottom