New Mexico Elk

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sesh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just found out that I drew an elk tag in New Mexico. It's in Unit 34 during muzzleloader season. Anybody else draw in New Mexico? Anybody ever hunt in Unit 34? I also drew a deer/elk combo tag in Montana this year. I'm now thinking I should buy a lottery ticket as well...if I could afford it:crying: I'm pretty excited even though I've never hunted New Mexico before.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congrats!

Hey, can anyone please tell me the procedure and cost for doing these - for putting in for draw elk tags for ML and rifle for Colo, NM, AZ, etc.?

Thanks. Is it pretty cheap UNLESS/UNTIL you get drawn?

http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/recreation/hunting/

IMO NM is not cheap at all. Last time I looked into it, I think it was $780 for a quality tag. IIRC you send them a check for the tag and check for the app fee. They hold the check for the tag and if you don't get drawn they return it. Info should be on the site I posted above.

sesh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unit 34 is down South Central by Alamogordo and White Sands Missle Range. Watch out for UEO. No not UFO. On a bright side, your elk rifle wont draw much attention next to the range. =)

:thumbup3: that is a fact, the east side of the area borders the missile range.
Most of the area is the southern portion of the Lincoln National Forest, so it's mostly public land. Supposed to be pretty good numbers there. Hopefully I'll have an overflowing freezer this winter.

sesh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congrats!

Hey, can anyone please tell me the procedure and cost for doing these - for putting in for draw elk tags for ML and rifle for Colo, NM, AZ, etc.?

Thanks. Is it pretty cheap UNLESS/UNTIL you get drawn?

http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/recreation/hunting/

IMO NM is not cheap at all. Last time I looked into it, I think it was $780 for a quality tag. IIRC you send them a check for the tag and check for the app fee. They hold the check for the tag and if you don't get drawn they return it. Info should be on the site I posted above.

For quality tags New Mexico is not cheap, but it's cheaper than Arizona IIRC. Most states do charge up front for the license fees and then refund, minus the application fee, if you are unsuccessful in the drawing. This is actually the first year that NM has done it that way, they didn't used to charge anything but an app fee until you actually drew a tag. Colorado is one of the cheaper ones overall for application fees and tags, and obviously there are good numbers there as well.
I've been applying for the last few years in several states for elk and deer. Not saying I'm an expert by any means, there's lots of us on here that at least applied for CO and NM, but I could definitely talk all day about pro's and con's of the application process for several states.
Dr Tad, if you have any specific questions or want to talk more in depth about the process shoot me a pm and I'll see if I can help you out.

nmokie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I grew up in Alamogordo. The only Elk hunting I know of in that area is based around Cloudcroft. Its a small town in the mountians about 16 miles from Alamogordo. Book yourself a room there and you will be centrally located in the area. Don't forget your winter gear. While it is southern New Mexico, they tend to get a lot of snow in the area and the side roads aren't given the best attention when there is heavy snow. Southernmost ski area in the US in Cloudcroft. Book a room early, the Texans like to come down for the winter. Good luck!

Latest posts

Top Bottom