New Reloader - Soon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Droff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've read through the FAQ's and most threads I could find that were relevant to what I need to do to start reloading.
First off, I do have a couple books headed my way for Christmas, the Lyman's book and the ABC's of Reloading, so those will be my main reference material. I just had a Dillon 550B delivered with 9mm dies for reloading, but still in the box - Merry Christmas to me. It may be a bit of overkill right now but I just might grow into it with four or five folks in the family that like to shoot. I'm not worried about starting with a progressive, I can learn that just as well as anything else as I'm not in a hurry.

I do have more questions, keep in mind they are prior to reading either of the books I'll be getting. I'm just looking for input to get some more knowledge/suggestions on a few things.
- Suggested local shops to buy powder in the OKC area? In the Tulsa/BA area?
- It looks like around $25-$35/pound on powder, regardless of brand, from what I've seen online, is this more or less typical? Are local prices similar?
- As I'm a beginner, I've read ball powders are easier to meter, should I work with one of those first? I'm starting with 9mm as I have the dies, but down the road will be doing .380, .38 Sp, .45 ACP and .223.
- I know it's a wide open question, but any powder recommendations? Regardless of caliber, pistol or rifle, I'm reloading for range shooting, nothing for distance (100+ yds) as of yet.
- CCI Primers? Cabela's has them 'on sale' per 1,000, are these really sale prices? http://www.cabelas.com/product/CCI-Primers-Per-1000/731748.uts?avad=48247_d7a7cd56&WT.mc_id=al35987&rid=12&WT.tsrc=AFF

- At some point I need to get a decent scale, calipers and most likely a tumbler, a case trimmer as well. Lots of choices out there and not a clue (yet) on which direction to go. I don't want to spend money unnecessarily but I also want gear that is useable, good and will last. I know everyone has an opinion for one over the other when it comes to anything, but opinions get me a starting point.

I think that's it for now, any other input that is relevant info is appreciated.
Thanks guys!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
505 beam scale is what I use and like.
pistol cases will usually not need trimmed I say usually because I have a german 357 mag that is short throated.
never trimmed a 45acp case and never needed to.
My trimmers are lee and I am happy with them.. but you may want something faster. I use them for rifle rounds.
My bullseye powder AA#5 meter excellent for my 38.357 and 45acp loads. rifle gets weighed on 505.

Of course the 505 is used to find where to set the automatic powder dispenser.
Gene Sears is where I get powder primers and bullets his web sight is 3rdgss which stands for 3rd generation shooting supply.
He is in Elreno.
Bass pro and H&H are 2 more but they are higher.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Suggested local shops to buy powder in the OKC area? In the Tulsa/BA area?
in the OKC Area, Gene sears in El Reno usually has stock. but pistol powder is still quite hard to come by. by 8lb containers for pistol if you can find them.
Can't help in Tulsa, sorry.

It looks like around $25-$35/pound on powder, regardless of brand, from what I've seen online, is this more or less typical? Are local prices similar?
That's about going price right now - maybe a bit high. Keep in mind if you order online, you will have to pay a $25-$30 hazmat fee on top of shipping.

As I'm a beginner, I've read ball powders are easier to meter, should I work with one of those first? I'm starting with 9mm as I have the dies, but down the road will be doing .380, .38 Sp, .45 ACP and .223.
With scarcity of powder, be prepared to load with what you can find. Ball is great if you can find it. Flake is more likely available though.

I know it's a wide open question, but any powder recommendations? Regardless of caliber, pistol or rifle, I'm reloading for range shooting, nothing for distance (100+ yds) as of yet.
Each caliber performs differently with different powders but unique seems to be a pretty good catch-all for the calibers listed - but it's rare as hens teeth right now.

CCI Primers? Cabela's has them 'on sale' per 1,000, are these really sale prices? http://www.cabelas.com/product/CCI-P...12&WT.tsrc=AFF
That's a pretty good price but primers also require hazmat, so figure that cost into those primers and it's about the same as in town. ($32-$36 per K)
CCI makes good primers. I shoot a LOT of them, as do most reloaders.

You need a decent scale NOW - not eventually. get it NOW.

pistol brass won't need to be trimmed, hold off on that until you start loading necked rifle cartridges.

Tumbler will be nice, but not necessary - save your pennys and buy a good one (or make one)

Calipers are needed right away as well as they're used to check OAL. get a set now. they can be bought on the cheap for what we use them for. $35 will get a pair thats more than sufficient.

fatcpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
+1 on the RCBS 505 balance scales. I have a 505 and a 1010 from RCBS. I have several digital scales, but I always end up using the balance beams scales.

Droff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's a pretty good price but primers also require hazmat

I knew about the hazmat charge on powder but didn't catch it on the primers. Bummer.
The only bright spot on ordering online is there is ONE hazmat charge per order (by my understanding), whether 8# or 40# of powder.
Thanks for the info guys.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another +1 for Jerry's in Tulsa.

Calipers are super handy to have around: case length, COAL, and with adapters, bullet comparators and headspace gauges.

Overal CCI primers are pretty good. Lots of people use them. I have used them for pistol cartridges, but stopped using them for .223. The #400s have very hard cups and anvils, and I was having a hard time getting them to seat even flush, let alone a few thousandths below flush. The upshot is that even FGMM primers aren't that expensive.

I use a GemPro 250 scale. I decided on it after input from another person with first hand experience. Looking at scale reviews online gave me irremediable paralysis by analysis. There is not a SINGLE (and I freaking mean single) scale out there that doesn't have a good portion of people complaining about it in some way or another. It is quite precise, and can usually detect a single kernel of IMR4895 being put into or removed from the pan.

I use ultrasonic cleaning instead of tumbling. I follow this method: http://www.6mmbr.com/ultrasonic.html
It very much relies on the ultrasonic action in combination with the vinegar's acidity to break down the carbon. Also I found the soap actually seems to hurt the process. Vinegar is acidic, a lot of soap is basic. It actually seems to neutralize some of the soap's effectiveness. YMMV.
I made the mistake early on of putting too much brass in the cleaner. The brass farthest from the piezo element didn't get nearly as clean as the closer stuff. Lesson learned. I consider it to be really only second to wet tumbling with stainless steel media.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Take a road trip to Tulsa and stop by Jerry's Reloading. Take your checkbook or plenty of cash. It's almost the mecca of reloading stores. The only thing missing in there is Dillon equipment.

+1 on the RCBS 505 balance scales. I have a 505 and a 1010 from RCBS. I have several digital scales, but I always end up using the balance beams scales.

Good luck Drew, these guys gotcha covered. I can't believe powder prices, just like ammo I was hoarding before hoarding was cool!
I have some Bullseye that has a price of $12.81 on it,hard to believe these days.

Droff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One other topic I forgot - bullets.
I figure 124gr for 9mm, typical target shooting grain for other cals. Copper plated or not?

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Copper plated works great in 9mm. I've shot a lot of Rainier copper plated bullets. However, to really save money consider shooting lead. For the last couple of years I've shot nothing but J&K Bullet Casters lead bullets. Never had a problem with leading. Their shop is in Moore but they also sell the cast bullets out of their Safety First Gun Range in Edmond. When you factor in fuel cost and time, however, it might make sense just to have them ship the bullets to you in the flat rate shipping box.

Latest posts

Top Bottom