New Scope (if you can't afford much check this one out)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A good trigger is definitely a big piece in the puzzle. It is the part you interact with the most on a firearm. If it's too heavy or sloppy, then you will have to compensate for this, taking focus away from the objective of making a well placed shot.

Focusing on the trigger is fundamental to making a good shot - anything that makes you concentrate on the trigger WILL make you a better shooter. Squeeze of the trigger is not a natural motion - it has to be learned and practiced and practiced, and practiced again. With longer/heavier tirgger you'll be able to see the sight picture drift and correct the mistakes, with light trigger you'll just get "unexplained" flyers.

Don't get me wrong, it's nice to have a "good" trigger and it will make good shooter's job easier - but claiming that trigger universally affects accuracy IMHO is misleading.

P.S. I have to admit, that over the years I had to say it a few times - "you got to do something about this trigger" - but we are talking about over 10lb pull.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Focusing on the trigger is fundamental to making a good shot - anything that makes you concentrate on the trigger WILL make you a better shooter. Squeeze of the trigger is not a natural motion - it has to be learned and practiced and practiced, and practiced again. With longer/heavier tirgger you'll be able to see the sight picture drift and correct the mistakes, with light trigger you'll just get "unexplained" flyers.

Don't get me wrong, it's nice to have a "good" trigger and it will make good shooter's job easier - but claiming that trigger universally affects accuracy IMHO is misleading.

P.S. I have to admit, that over the years I had to say it a few times - "you got to do something about this trigger" - but we are talking about over 10lb pull.

I personally feel, in the AR platform, there are 3 components that can't be skimped on. The barrel, the trigger, and the glass. These 3 parts will make or break a precision rig in my opinion. All the other parts can be whatever fits the shooter best. For instance, my friend built a 20" AR for precision work. He bought quality parts, but used just a standard one stage trigger. The groups out of that rifle were never "spectacular". I had him try using his upper on my lower receiver that had a Geissele SSA-E trigger. With the same shooter, ammo, on the same day, etc. His groups tightened up by 35%. I tried this again with a stranger at the range, and he had the same results. His groups tightened up significantly. This experience is what I am basing my opinion on.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had him try using his upper on my lower receiver that had a Geissele SSA-E trigger. With the same shooter, ammo, on the same day, etc. His groups tightened up by 35%.

I can't argue with your "experience". Are you sure your results are not psychosomatic? I mean when you tell someone - "Hey, try this $200 trigger" - guess what - they are going to pay attention to the trigger, thus shooting better. Welp, if takes just $200 to pay attention to the most important part - not a bad investment at all!

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A good shooter will make good shots, even with a lousy trigger. A mediocre shooter will make bad shots with a lousy trigger and better shots with a good one. So, you must decide whether form or results are most important to you.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
A good shooter will make good shots, even with a lousy trigger. A mediocre shooter will make bad shots with a lousy trigger and better shots with a good one. So, you must decide whether form or results are most important to you.

Would a good shooter not improve MORE from a good trigger than a poor shooter would? I group myself in the latter category, which is why I haven't spent bookoo bucks on triggers: I figure I will get more improvement from $200 worth of ammo than a $200 trigger.

TCummings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can tell you from using my red dot that with the stock trigger my grouping was ok at 75 yards, but when I put the Geissele in my grouping tightened up big time. It truly allowed me to focus more (probably a mental thing) but I knew exactly the point the the hammer was going to break and that to me made a big difference in how I was shooting.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Would a good shooter not improve MORE from a good trigger than a poor shooter would? I group myself in the latter category, which is why I haven't spent bookoo bucks on triggers: I figure I will get more improvement from $200 worth of ammo than a $200 trigger.

Really only in the speed in which the accuracy can be delivered. It just takes longer to deliver good hits with a bad trigger.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't argue with your "experience". Are you sure your results are not psychosomatic? I mean when you tell someone - "Hey, try this $200 trigger" - guess what - they are going to pay attention to the trigger, thus shooting better. Welp, if takes just $200 to pay attention to the most important part - not a bad investment at all!

This could be true. I won't argue with that. I know I felt like I was a better ball player when I bought my Chipper 9 spike cleats, back when I was in school.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Back to the topic at hand, if you watch the used deals here and on other forums, you can get into the "worth the price paid" category of scopes for $100 +/-. The Bushnell Elite 10x40 goes for $100-$150 used, some of the Mueller scopes can be had for $75-$125, occasionally a Nikon Buckmaster will be sold for under $150, and older Bushnells can be found for sub $100. For a little more, I have seen a couple Milletts go for sub $200.

Latest posts

Top Bottom