New to revolvers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've always been a semi-auto guy, but lately I've been hankering for a revolver in .357. Not for CCW, but mainly a range gun with a 3-4" barrel. The Match Champion or Wiley Clapp GP100s look like a good option, but I wouldn't rule out a S&W. I just dont know enough to make an educated decision when it comes to the different models of Smiths. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I know somebody out there has an opinion on this subject!

Dukester

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
GP100's are great guns for sure but the triggers can be a real turn off if you're not a revolver guy. Look on Armslist and you'll find Smith and Wessons at some reasonable prices. A Smith will get you hooked on revolvers.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
GP100's are great guns for sure but the triggers can be a real turn off if you're not a revolver guy. Look on Armslist and you'll find Smith and Wessons at some reasonable prices. A Smith will get you hooked on revolvers.

I've been reading and watching some videos, trying to figure out which S&W models/frames to look for. Right now the Model 66 looks like a possibility. From what I've read, the general consensus is to look for an older Smith in good condition as opposed to buying a newer one.

Dukester

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
All mine are older and shoot buttery smooth and can usually be had for far less than new ones. You can't go wrong with K or L frames. I have two of each and I love them all. Model 66's are usually pretty pricey while you can typically find model 65's at a much better price and be just as satisfied. Or you can go a bit heavier and pick up a 686 or 586. They are awesome. I have a 6" 586 and a 4" 681 and I wouldn't take for them.
I don't have any experience with the new guns beyond my little snubby but I wouldn't be afraid to pick one up. Of course I'm a Smith junky so I'm biased.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can tolerate the pull, though i know it can be much better. But the one thing I dont like, is the trigger return lock point if you dont go far enough.

This is interesting. I can't make mine mess up like this. I fixed two Taurus revolvers one of my co-workers owns for this issue. Troubling and annoying for sure...but I think fixable. Gotta make mine mess up so I can get a lock on a fix.

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I prefer Smith & Wesson. They don't feel a clunky. My observation is that the cylinder and barrel sit lower than on a Ruger. The Rugers feel top heavy to me.
The model 19/66 are nice, but the used ones have been pretty pricey lately. (These are K frames: 19 is blued, 66 is stainless.) I recommend a model 686 in a 4" or 3" barrel. They are L frame guns which means that the frame is stronger than the 66. They also have a full underlug which helps with muzzle flip. The L frame uses the same grips as the K frame.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
PLUS 1^^^^You can't go wrong with a K-Frame Smith, and love their large L frames too. Model 25, 57, 19, 66, 686 Man O Man. Staying with the 357 though model 19, or 66 would be my first choice, and then a 686 but just because it's very heavy.

LeatherDoctor

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is interesting. I can't make mine mess up like this. I fixed two Taurus revolvers one of my co-workers owns for this issue. Troubling and annoying for sure...but I think fixable. Gotta make mine mess up so I can get a lock on a fix.

I didn't know anything about it, until I read about it on Grant Cunningham's website. He was saying it could be greatly reduced but not eliminated. I haven't shot it fast enough to where I would noticed, but if i return slow i can just barely feel it hit that point.

Latest posts

Top Bottom