New to revolvers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When did the GP-100 come out? The reason that I ask is because when I took my LFI class in Long Beach, California in 1985, Massad Ayoob let me dry-fire his Ruger and I want to say that it was a GP-100. It could have been a Security Six but I am thinking it was a GP-100. Anyway, my point is that Ayoob's Ruger had a very good trigger pull on it, so it wouldn't surprise me that yours has a good pull as well.

Anyway, congratulations on the purchase. I'm sure that you'll really enjoy it.

Seems like I read that the GP came out in '85.

Speaking of the trigger, I just finished polishing the internals and replacing the springs. Went with 10# on the hammer spring, and 8# on the trigger return spring. According to my cheap Wheeler gauge the DA pull is 6.5# and SA is 2#. No grit or hitches at all, and the reset feels good. I have some ammo arriving later today, and am hoping that it still functions 100% reliably. If not, I can always bump the spring weight up.

I have to say, with just a little work and $10 worth of springs I'm really impressed with the results. I'll have to post a review once I have some more rounds range.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seems like I read that the GP came out in '85.

Speaking of the trigger, I just finished polishing the internals and replacing the springs. Went with 10# on the hammer spring, and 8# on the trigger return spring. According to my cheap Wheeler gauge the DA pull is 6.5# and SA is 2#. No grit or hitches at all, and the reset feels good. I have some ammo arriving later today, and am hoping that it still functions 100% reliably. If not, I can always bump the spring weight up.

I have to say, with just a little work and $10 worth of springs I'm really impressed with the results. I'll have to post a review once I have some more rounds range.

The LFI class was in November, so the gun could have been brand-new. I do recall Ayoob saying that the action had been worked over by a gunsmith.

As an aside, I have two SP-101's with actions that are very smooth as well. The trigger pulls are heavy, but like I say, they are both smooth. One is in 22 LR and the other is 32 H&R Magnum.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You did well for your first revolver, the Wiley Clapp is a great design. You got yours just in time, these guns are getting really hard to find. Your blued version is one of 2500 and the stainless is limited to 2000. Congrats on the new wheelie!

I hear people who don't own Ruger's bash the trigger all the time, you'll hear "they are great guns but the triggers are terrible compared to S&W". Well, it's just not true, Ruger triggers are far better than they are given credit for. The GP100's trigger is very good and just gets better the more they are used. While I like all the GP100's, my current model, and favorite so far is my stainless Wiley Clapp model. These are great guns with very good triggers, excellent ergonomics, full carry treatment and very easy to pick up Novak rear sight and fiber optic front.

Dukester

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You did well for your first revolver, the Wiley Clapp is a great design. You got yours just in time, these guns are getting really hard to find. Your blued version is one of 2500 and the stainless is limited to 2000. Congrats on the new wheelie!

I hear people who don't own Ruger's bash the trigger all the time, you'll hear "they are great guns but the triggers are terrible compared to S&W". Well, it's just not true, Ruger triggers are far better than they are given credit for. The GP100's trigger is very good and just gets better the more they are used. While I like all the GP100's, my current model, and favorite so far is my stainless Wiley Clapp model. These are great guns with very good triggers, excellent ergonomics, full carry treatment and very easy to pick up Novak rear sight and fiber optic front.

I've owned two gp100's and their triggers aren't even in the same realm as a S&W trigger. That isn't even debatable. I bet a Wiley Clapp has an upgraded trigger that is pretty good, but as you said that is a limited edition.
I ain't knocking Rugers, other than the trigger pull, in terms of quality I feel they are right there with Smiths. They just aren't as pretty.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've owned two gp100's and their triggers aren't even in the same realm as a S&W trigger. That isn't even debatable. I bet a Wiley Clapp has an upgraded trigger that is pretty good, but as you said that is a limited edition.
I ain't knocking Rugers, other than the trigger pull, in terms of quality I feel they are right there with Smiths. They just aren't as pretty.

Negative ghost rider, the Wiley Clapp has the standard GP100 trigger. There may have been a time when Ruger's triggers weren't on par with S&W but that's long past. You'll rarely, if ever read a comment about someone buying a Ruger and being disappointed with the trigger but you'll read plenty of them where someone who's only ever used a S&W and bought their first Ruger say that they were impressed with how good the trigger was. Obviously my Ruger triggers don't compare with my S&W PC gun but that's apples and oranges. The supposed disparity between S&W and Ruger may have existed in the past but it hasn't been the case for quite awhile.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Real guns for real business!! If I had to live with only one type of handgun it would be revolvers!

In the past I never would've considered a revolver for social work, SHTF or whatever. Now I can see how it'll probably end up being my first choice, but I'm with Dukester that 1911s are right there.

Guess I'm just going to have to buy a S&W to accompany my Ruger, if only to compare/experience the trigger. I'm still amazed at how smooth this thing is. I can barely feel the DA/SA transition right before the hammer falls, but otherwise it's like glass. I was going to wait on the shims,since I don't see evidence of rubbing on the trigger or hammer, but I'm going to go ahead and do it to see just how much more it can be improved. Ruger did good on this one.

Dukester

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Negative ghost rider, the Wiley Clapp has the standard GP100 trigger. There may have been a time when Ruger's triggers weren't on par with S&W but that's long past. You'll rarely, if ever read a comment about someone buying a Ruger and being disappointed with the trigger but you'll read plenty of them where someone who's only ever used a S&W and bought their first Ruger say that they were impressed with how good the trigger was. Obviously my Ruger triggers don't compare with my S&W PC gun but that's apples and oranges. The supposed disparity between S&W and Ruger may have existed in the past but it hasn't been the case for quite awhile.
What is the name of this fantasy world in which you live?

65ny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm with Dukester on this one. I've had Rugers and Smiths...the best triggers I've ever experienced were on older, well broken in, Smiths. I had a Security Six with a really nice trigger, and my LCR is impressive, but it wasn't even in the same ballpark as a good S/W.
I have a .327 mag GP100 that I love, but I hate the trigger. Maybe I'm just spoiled.

Anyway.....that's not the point of your post. Congrats on your new revolver. I'm envious and I bet it'll be the beginning of a nice collection of them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom