Newt & Perry don't make VA ballot.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't believe 2 of the major players didn't get the signatures required to get on the ballot. Newt can't even make the ballot in his home state? I think this is going to a major issue to people all over. It makes them look lazy, unprofessional and not in control. People are going to vote for these guys to run the country? Not as many now.

Honestly, I expected this to be a close race between Mitt & Newt. But this may have cost Newt the entire nomination IMO.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's because they are lazy and unprofessional. There's a few more professional candidates out there (I'd argue Huntsman and Johnson are), but they don't get the attention, for a variety of reasons both valid and otherwise.

Paulinok

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gingrich, Jon Huntsman, Michele Bachmann and Rick Perry all failed to make the primary ballot in VA, only Romney and Paul collected enough (over and beyond) to make the ballot. I read though that Perry collected 11,911 enough signatures but had "multiple filing errors" keeping him out
Gingrich turned in 11,050 but I couldn't find what kept him from making the ballot, as the minimum is 10,000 VALID and confirmed signatures.
All that said, I agree it makes them look less than promising. How could Newt be leading the polls in VA but still fail to make the ballot? If you fail in a state that seems to favor you, it sure does look like it may be over.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What is says is that both candidates are more regional AND don't have the strongest organizations behind them but it doesn't say they are lazy.
But having strong organizations says more to long-term continuous involvement in politics and currying favor with political "machine types" than with anything about the candidate himself necessarily.

I mean, does Huntsman's soft on China attitude prove he is a stooge of Communist China? (FYI - the answer is "no")

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At least they can't be accused of using fake signatures to get the required number.

Good point.

Bachman did not even try in VA and neither did one or two others. I think most Republican candidates are devoting most of their Super Tuesday efforts to other states. Good idea or not I do not know.

MLRyan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the message candidates send of "your state doesn't matter to me, I can still win without you" I know it's just the electoral college system, but my home state doesn't even matter when it comes election time.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gingrich, Jon Huntsman, Michele Bachmann and Rick Perry all failed to make the primary ballot in VA, only Romney and Paul collected enough (over and beyond) to make the ballot. I read though that Perry collected 11,911 enough signatures but had "multiple filing errors" keeping him out
Gingrich turned in 11,050 but I couldn't find what kept him from making the ballot, as the minimum is 10,000 VALID and confirmed signatures.
All that said, I agree it makes them look less than promising. How could Newt be leading the polls in VA but still fail to make the ballot? If you fail in a state that seems to favor you, it sure does look like it may be over.

Probably the requirement to have 400 signatures from each of their 11 congressional districts.

Latest posts

Top Bottom