NICS Background Check "Delay"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gramps42

New to the site!
Reaction score
It has happened to me twice. Back in March I went to Academy to buy a rifle. It was put on hold and I finally heard back from Academy 3 weeks later. Approved or okayed, whatever. Then This past week went to get a pistol, delayed, however I was called by the FFL seller the next day approved. He just happens to be a sponsor member of OSA. It is a pain, I agree. I don't buy guns very often, but usually when I want to buy something I want it now. I've heard of others having the same problem going thru Academy. It's their policy not to deliver the weapon without approval.

shooterdave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nics Is a multi tiered system. The first layer has the authority to give a proceed if you have a clean record. Many of us do NOT have a clean record. Before you yell and scream, read... If you have ever applied for an SDA permit, a teachers license, been through CLEET, worked for the State of OK, etc...YOU have a record. Add a clearance level to that or a federal job and you have an FBI number, too. If the first tier sees any activity on you record, it is send up the ladder to the next level. At this level, the examiner can look at the reasons for entries and most of the time make the call. If for some reason it is not clear, it goes to the next level where a more detailed examination is completed. I'm fairly certain that a certain percentage of requests at each level get audited..read delayed.. As a type of checks and balances, quality control of the examiners. This probably accounts for Most of the delays experienced by those with nothing in their history. I researched this a couple years ago when I was having hell getting approved. I was going to go the route of a pin number and called and bitched enough that a "supervisor" for the program called me back and we talked for about 20 minutes. Supposedly, the system was about to go through changes and he told me that it should get better for people who have issues due to multiple entries. For example, I have several state level entries due to CLEET and a couple other employment checks and a federal entry due to some stuff I did a few years back with the marshalls rounding up sex offenders and people with active warrants. Since then, I have only had one delay and it was less than an hour. I don't know for sure, but I imagine that those with NFA stamps probably have entries for each item if y
They applied in their name and not a trust. Another problem is that every state enters information differently. For example, I look at RAP sheets every day as part of my employment. Some of these are easy to read, some are a nightmare. It all depends on what state an entry was made from.

1fast8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i dont know anything about it except it must not have anything to do with the amount of guns you buy! bought 6 from 2A and they have only been open for a month

caspian40sw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was denied the same week I got back from afghanistan. Had to send in a finger print card and have had no further problems. I was told some one with the same name was being a bad person.

tschwarz

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nics Is a multi tiered system. The first layer has the authority to give a proceed if you have a clean record. Many of us do NOT have a clean record. Before you yell and scream, read... If you have ever applied for an SDA permit, a teachers license, been through CLEET, worked for the State of OK, etc...YOU have a record. Add a clearance level to that or a federal job and you have an FBI number, too. If the first tier sees any activity on you record, it is send up the ladder to the next level. At this level, the examiner can look at the reasons for entries and most of the time make the call. If for some reason it is not clear, it goes to the next level where a more detailed examination is completed. I'm fairly certain that a certain percentage of requests at each level get audited..read delayed.. As a type of checks and balances, quality control of the examiners. This probably accounts for Most of the delays experienced by those with nothing in their history. I researched this a couple years ago when I was having hell getting approved. I was going to go the route of a pin number and called and bitched enough that a "supervisor" for the program called me back and we talked for about 20 minutes. Supposedly, the system was about to go through changes and he told me that it should get better for people who have issues due to multiple entries. For example, I have several state level entries due to CLEET and a couple other employment checks and a federal entry due to some stuff I did a few years back with the marshalls rounding up sex offenders and people with active warrants. Since then, I have only had one delay and it was less than an hour. I don't know for sure, but I imagine that those with NFA stamps probably have entries for each item if y
They applied in their name and not a trust. Another problem is that every state enters information differently. For example, I look at RAP sheets every day as part of my employment. Some of these are easy to read, some are a nightmare. It all depends on what state an entry was made from.

Thanks. This is good information to have. I have been delayed each and every time I have purchased a firearm and never could figure out why. It was never more than a couple of day delay, so not really worth getting the PIN.

grizzly97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went to Academy at lunch today, thinking I would pick up a Ruger LCP (been wanting one). For the first time, the background check came back "Delayed". What gives?

It really pissed me off, and somewhat worried me about stolen identity kind of stuff, but I was polite and didn't make an issue off it.

What is my recourse? I was told it could be days, and that appealing makes things worse, and trying to buy at another store can also cause issues?

Is this crap in the 2nd ammendment?

Have you ever been "checked out" for clearance on certain things? The reason I ask is this: My buddy has this problem every time. The reason is that he is former Air Force and his job was working F-16's, and so he had to get a certain clearance. He was looked into by the FBI for that, so now every time NICS does a check, they see he was "checked out" by the FBI and it causes delays. At least that's the reason he was given.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you ever been "checked out" for clearance on certain things? The reason I ask is this: My buddy has this problem every time. The reason is that he is former Air Force and his job was working F-16's, and so he had to get a certain clearance. He was looked into by the FBI for that, so now every time NICS does a check, they see he was "checked out" by the FBI and it causes delays. At least that's the reason he was given.

Sorry, not flaming you, but I believe this is nothing more than urban legend. The FBI doesn't do military security clearance background checks, the Defense Security Service does. And I've never seen anything from a reputable source that indicates there has ever been an established link between military security clearances and NICS delays. I think it's more of a case of people needing to find a 'cool' reason for their coincidental delay.

A guy who once upon a time held a clearance and worked on the most common jet in our inventory getting delayed is coincidence, not proof of a connection.

I've held a Top Secret security clearance (to include Yankee White Presidential access and other special access programs) for a couple decades, applied for/received a SDA permit, been investigated and hired for a State law enforcement job etc...and never once experienced a NICS delay. Does that disprove the alleged connection between NICS and .mil clearances? No. But it sure makes it less likely and increases/shifts the burden of proof.

Last edited:

peanut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I must be in the percentage that get's checked EVERY TIME.
only once in 15 years have I not been delayed.

Remind me to not buy a gun from FAL GUY.
Ah, you've been delayed sir, and ah, I 'm gonna keep the money and the gun cuz I don wanna sell u a gun. Ah yep, I have that right! So, ah, get bent!

WOW!

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I must be in the percentage that get's checked EVERY TIME.
only once in 15 years have I not been delayed.

Remind me to not buy a gun from FAL GUY.
Ah, you've been delayed sir, and ah, I 'm gonna keep the money and the gun cuz I don wanna sell u a gun. Ah yep, I have that right! So, ah, get bent!

WOW!

I'm pretty sure FAL GUY is the manager at H&H. And he said they complete the transfer after the 3 days.

I think it is really 5 days too. 3 days not counting the day of the delay or the day of the pick up. 3 whole days in between those. If you get delayed today (Monday) the soonest you could pick it up without a call back from NICS is Friday.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure FAL GUY is the manager at H&H. And he said they complete the transfer after the 3 days.

I think it is really 5 days too. 3 days not counting the day of the delay or the day of the pick up. 3 whole days in between those. If you get delayed today (Monday) the soonest you could pick it up without a call back from NICS is Friday.

I also missed the part where FAL GUY said they keep you money when the transfer is denied or delayed with no proceed. For some reason I don't think that is how it works.

Latest posts

Top Bottom