Non resident permints and LE officers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just put a light bar on there and keep going.:pms2:

uhhh NO i am not a whacker as we retired patrol car drivers call the "wannabe's" funny thing is i bought the car from a rogers county deputies father. Had it one year and within the past month i've started getting all the attention

HackerF15E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a retired LEO, I can tell you that a DL from one location, a CCL from another location and the combination of other ID's or tags, etc. throws up flags that the person may need a little extra investigating.

As an example, a traffic stop and the car has an Oklahoma tag, the driver has a Texas DL and a Utah CCL. This is when I check NCIC and criminal inquires with all three states to see if they're wanted or have a criminal history anywhere. Fake ID's are found more frequently everyday.

As a military dude in a state with lots of military folks, that "throws up flags"? That's what I'd call "standard" amongst military types.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As a military dude in a state with lots of military folks, that "throws up flags"? That's what I'd call "standard" amongst military types.

I agree that it's common amongst Military personnel and yes it would throw up flags, till you showed the military ID and/or a copy of your orders.

What really gets confusing is the different laws from the different states. I had a traffic stop one night where a driver handed me a DL that was expired 5 years earlier from one state and his military ID. His truck was tagged in another. His home state law allows his license to non expire as long as he was currently in the military.

Don't be surprised if you get questioned if you have ID's and such from different locations. Lots of bad guys get caught by asking a few simple questions and the answers don't jive.

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"The third degree" or they just asked why you have a Utah permit?

No police officer, no district attorney, no judge, no state legislator, no attorney general, no one is familiar with ALL laws and variations. Cannot happen. There are just too many laws and loopholes. Last year, just the changes to just one Title required about 80 pages of index.

If you were stopped solely for driving a former LE vehicle, you should immediately contact the OHP and Rogers County SD to complain and perhaps consult an attorney for the obvious violation of your rights. That is not sufficient probable cause to stop someone.

Out of state permits or IDs are easier to fake than are state IDs that LEOs would be more familiar with. When something is "different" it draws attention and questions may be asked. Just a simple "it saved me a lot of money" will suffice. Remember that the LEO is trying to determine if this stranger he has stopped is something other than what they are trying to represent. It is nothing personal, nothing against you, just trying to do a job. If you believe your rights are being violated, by all means pursue that until it is resolved. You may get a bad cop (there are plenty of those) off the streets.

elcaBob

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
No police officer, no district attorney, no judge, no state legislator, no attorney general, no one is familiar with ALL laws and variations. Cannot happen. There are just too many laws and loopholes. Last year, just the changes to just one Title required about 80 pages of index.

Yet, if you broke a law you didn't know about, ignorance of the law wouldn't be tolerated as an excuse.

Crosstimbers Okie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually it is their business why, They need to make sure your not some kind of criminal that has skirted around the Oklahoma License Process....because it looks suspicious...Your right your not obligated to tell them anything but your silence will only raise more questions. Just tell them the truth and that will satisfy them...

Compliance with the letter of the law is now evidence of a crime?

Latest posts

Top Bottom