Not A Good Thing To See

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How do you replace one of the frost free bibs? Do you just hope that it is threaded on instead of soldered and give it a turn? Do you have to tear out the wall?

I have one that leaks water through the knob when it is on. I need to change come this spring.

oklahomabuilder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought I had a similar situation to this last year during one of our better freezes. I ended up digging up the backflow preventer (about 3ft. deep in rock solid frozen ground). To my surprise, my 2 year old had flushed floatable bathtub toys down the toilet that got lodged in the pipe and backed up the system.

Teeeroy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How do you replace one of the frost free bibs? Do you just hope that it is threaded on instead of soldered and give it a turn? Do you have to tear out the wall?

I have one that leaks water through the knob when it is on. I need to change come this spring.

I had to replace one this summer and it became quite the ordeal (at first) because I wound up breaking the original after I took it out to replace the seal to stop a leak.

I wound up going to Locke Supply and replaced the whole thing. Wish I would've done that to begin with. That was a pretty easy fix. It just cost me about $38, instead of .50 for the washer alone.

To answer your question, mine was just a matter of unscrewing the old one and screwing in the new one. My water bill isn't any higher, so I assume I did it right! :lookaroun

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Like a post above, the jackhole that installed mine did not secure the main line to a stud. I felt something was wrong, and opened up the drywall to find the problem. I didn't have the anti-siphon bib so it was a small blessing that no flooding occured, and I got to update. So far, I've had to replace every one of the faucets outside the house, and none were secured.
Plus, there is an option on some outside bibs. They can be soldered in, or threaded.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That option scares me.

I know. Its probably best to just open up the drywall, and prevent a problem that may go really south.
I didn't do it, but wish I did, was to leave a "door" where a person could go back in there years later to do more repairs. I'm not much of a drywall repair person, so this is what I should have done. Had the guy doing our home remodel patch them up for me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom