Not a hunter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noob2013

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not a hunter; here seeking opinions / experience. Will a .22LR possibly kill game (deer) besides small ones with maybe, a couple of shots? And also, for safety in the wild.

The reason I'm asking is, I'm trying to find a caliber that
1) will fit both rifle and handgun.

2) SHTF situations where mobility on vehicle / foot is key - with 1 rifle and 1 semi-auto handgun.
*** can't possibly carry a whole lot of .223/5.56 or 7.62X39mm plus .45 and be on foot.
But I believe it's possible to carry a few thousands of .22LR.

3) ability to survive in the wild by hunting for food and/or survival safety.

Open to other caliber suggestions.
And definitely interested in hearing opinions / ideas on what others are planning for these situations.

otis147

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i have a friend who has killed deer and turkey with a .22, but it isn't ideal.

what about a pistol caliber carbine? with the right one, you could share both mags and ammo with your handgun.

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think .22 is perfect for SHTF situations. Its quiet, light, cheap, available, and will kill pretty much anything you will need to. It might not be the best round for defending yourself against a drug crazed lunatic but no round is good at everything. if your going mobile then you should not really need to kill a deer. especially if you are by yourself. squirrels, rabbits, and other small critters are just as good and much easier to transport while on the move, not to mention much more plentiful.

CBCollier

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Been is right on. There are some calibers (like say .357) that are also good as a hunting round. My son (he's 13) uses a .357 single shot to deer hunt with. And obviously you can get a pistol that will shoot .357. But, dollar for dollar on the actual firearms, the ammo (when you can find it) and portability, it is hard to beat a 22lr.

I know this, one of the guns I would grab if I was in a SHTF situation, would be my Ruger 10/22 Takedown and my Browning Buckmark pistol.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For a survival round a 22LR makes good sense. It will fit rifles and pistols and ammo is light, and likely as easy or easier to find than most any other ammo. As for protection. Maybe it is not the best round but it will Mae people leak and sometimes that's all that is needed.

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For a survival round a 22LR makes good sense. It will fit rifles and pistols and ammo is light, and likely as easy or easier to find than most any other ammo. As for protection. Maybe it is not the best round but it will Mae people leak and sometimes that's all that is needed.

Makes a good point. Especially if they are in a group. An injured person will make things much more complicated. Not to mention sometimes a person with three holes in them (and still alive and writhing in pain) is much more harmful to morale than a dead person. If they are alone it may also be good. A person with a small .22 wound would be much more easy to clean and eat (if things were truly that bad).

Latest posts

Top Bottom