Not a hunter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sethk

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
For this scenario, I'd go with the .367 Magnum crowd. Personally, I'd grab a 357 Handi-Rifle* and a Ruger Blackhawk 357/9mm convertible, though there are other viable options (like Rossi) for a single-shot rifle and revolver combo in 357. In a SHTF scenario, it's good to have tools that are low-tech, low maintenance as well as versatile. I for one would never like to take a shot at a deer unless, I knew I could take it out with one shot. You'd fairly likely end up wasting your .22 rounds and never killing the deer (or at least finding afterwards) in most real world situations. Another bonus for the 357 set-up is that you can use any 38 Spec. rounds you come across (same goes for 9mm if you get a convertible revolver).

*If you wanna get really versatile, you could fine somebody to ream the rifle to 357 Maximum and handload you a handful of rounds for special occasions.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
.22LR has killed thousands of deer, so yes, it is capable of the job. .22 Mag might be a better choice for your scenario though. Much more powerful in rifle, and somewhat more powerful in pistol without a painful increase in weight.

If I was locked in to .22LR, my ammo choice would be CCI Stingers. For .22Mag my choice would be Hornady Critical Defense or Winchester PDX.

Me, I'd probably choose my Rossi '92 and Uberti Single Action Army, both in .44-40. Although admittedly factory ammo is hard to come by.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of the MOST important things to take away from your thread is that is ANY OTHER scenario other than a complete and total meltdown of society and the laws that keep it together (which most reasonable people believe is next to impossible), hunting large game with a .22 is totally, completely and utterly illegal.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This, in spades.

Additionally, one must possess superior woodcraft to be able to successfully kill deer with a .22. Successful poachers grow up with the mindset needed to do that. I'm not talking about idiot roadhunters, but the guys who never get detected.

As observed above, in the event of widespread hunger there won't be any deer pretty soon. It might even do in the wild hogs. Nobody mentioned cattle. Might as well be shot for a cow as for a deer.

Anyone planning to "lone wolf" it if our system collapses is nursing either a death wish or a keyboard fantasy. If you want to survive, become a talented member of a small community of like minded persons. Barter of goods and services will keep many alive, and everyone has to sleep sometime.

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone planning to "lone wolf" it if our system collapses is nursing either a death wish or a keyboard fantasy.

Speaking to this, if you were "lone wolf"ing it, and you killed a deer, even assuming you could haul it away and process it by yourself, what would you do with all that meat? you'd probably be a lot better off hunting small game in such an unlikely scenario (less wasteful, less time and energy spent processing meat, more sustainable)

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would be willing to bet money that more deer have been killed with .22 than any other caliber (just..not legally). In a survival situation (not so much apocalyptic SHTF) I think I would rather have a Ruger 10/22 or AR7 and a ton of shells with me than anything else.

Latest posts

Top Bottom