Nov 21st, Carrygun Match @ Heartland, Snubby State Championship, New Rules, etc

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
New shooters have no idea what IDPA scoring rules are. The "357" scoring is simple to understand after about 30 seconds of explanation. The targets aren't "weird," they are people targets. The match is about shooting with your actual carry gear. Engaging targets that look like people makes sense in this context. (and not all of them will be shoot targets)

Yes, it's a popular sport. The problem is, it doesn't seem to be that popular around the OKC area. I don't know why. There have been at least two attempts that I'm aware of to run IDPA matches in the metro area. Currently, there are NONE. The closest one is Hinton.

Looking around, the only two shooters in the OKC area that shot any IDPA match is me and Ol Yeller, including the Nationals in Tulsa.

As a result, hardly anyone knows the IDPA scoring rules, except for what they've learned while RO'ing at the Heartland matches. Even then, I've seen inconsistency because the rules weren't known and therefore, were not properly applied. I've been asked to get more IDPA targets because the points down are printed on the target, making it easier to remember how many points down to assess for each scoring zone.

I'm not concerned with how fast the matches run, as they seem to be hitting their stride.

With the "357" scoring, SOME shooters may have more penalties than expected, since they may think that they don't have to aim.........

My point was that it is easier for new shooters to associate any match with either IDPA or USPSA since their are rules out there for those sports. These new rules and new targets are starting to spoil the match for me personally and I would shoot just about any match I can find. It is not fun trying to learn new rules and scoring all the time.

David E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sorry you feel that way.

The match, from inception, was meant to be a competive, yet semi-practical venue, intended to be shot with our actual carryguns. This allows us to build our shooting skills with the gun we'd use if ever confronted with a deadly force situation.

Those that shoot this match with their limited racegun are robbing themselves of an opportunity to improve their skills with their carry/defense gun, but that's their choice to make.

The 3-gun matches have had at least 3 different types of scoring, far more difficult to understand than the "357" scoring. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with any of their scoring, I'm only pointing out that their scoring system has changed, apparently without complaint.

I've been shooting this kind of stuff since 1982. One thing I've found that new shooters do is, they simply shoot! They don't care how it's scored, only that it is scored properly and fairly. Try explaining USPSA scoring to someone in 30 seconds....At about the 20 second mark, they have a look of total confusion on their face, followed by a "however you want to do it is fine by me" look.

I looked into turning this into an IDPA club, but I covered the reasons why not a couple months ago. Long story short, I was supposed to run the matches under the rules they intended, not by the ones they actually wrote.

I think that there is a desire to have a Carrygun Match.....maybe I'm on the wrong track.......we'll see, but I sure hope you give it a try before making up your mind.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
"I think that there is a desire to have a Carrygun Match.....maybe I'm on the wrong track.......we'll see, but I sure hope you give it a try before making up your mind."

I agree, a carry gun match is desired by several. There are plenty of other matches around to shoot the other types. Who knows, the practice someone gets with this match just might save their life some day. If we don't carry it the same way when we leave, it's not a carry gun. Mags and speed loaders as well. I realize that pocket carry might be too unsafe for this match but let's face it, a lot of snubbies are carried that way. I'm looking forward to it. The scoring sounds simple to me. And I've also shot idpa if you count one match. I need to go to Hinton or Tulsa and shoot some more.

MISph1t

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a fairly new shooter I really don't care how it's scored. I pretty much only compete against myself (mainly because I suck) and really only use the scoring to see if I'm making any improvement over the previous match.

It gives me a chance to do things like draw and shoot from concealment and shoot under stress. Until the last match I had never fired a handgun from the prone position.

It's made me a better, more confident shooter and that's really all I care about.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
As a fairly new shooter I really don't care how it's scored. I pretty much only compete against myself (mainly because I suck) and really only use the scoring to see if I'm making any improvement over the previous match.

It gives me a chance to do things like draw and shoot from concealment and shoot under stress. Until the last match I had never fired a handgun from the prone position.

It's made me a better, more confident shooter and that's really all I care about.

There you go. Exactly what this match was intended to be.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

not exactly new and I have fired prone bu I got to say

+1

I am one of those guys who has more rules and procedures in daily life than a guy need in a lifetime . I really like a productive skill building session that I can fire without going broke
watching the race guns is amazing... I get entertained and trained every time I shoot this match
-J

cowboydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Equipment: Practical guns .380 or larger, carried in practical gear. Holster (required) must cover triggerguard. Two spare magazines or 2 speedloaders will get you thru any stage. No shoulder holsters or cross-draw rigs. No Competition Only guns or gear.

So are pocket holsters and/or Smartcarry holsters allowed? This is how I carry at work - I am pretty much limited to carrying my 642 in one of those due to concealability. They do cover the trigger guard.

I have a couple IWB holsters that I can use if those are a no-go.

I would really like to make this match as it sound like fun, but I'm not sure if I can get away and make the drive.

David E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm going to make an executive decision and say "no."

A legal holster will have to expose the butt of the gun above the belt line.

No worries, you can start at "low ready," which is entirely plausible in a self defense scenario.

Latest posts

Top Bottom