-NOW FINISHED- My most ambitious stock repair yet.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Damn I wish I had some talent. I love doing that stuff but my work is less than stunning.
Good job. I hope you post more of your projects.

I'm glad you like seeing these. You know I didn't start out getting these kind of results. Lots of trial and error is how you learn though.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm glad you like seeing these. You know I didn't start out getting these kind of results. Lots of trial and error is how you learn though.
I love that stuff. I enjoy working with wood and DIY stuff. I'm getting better but my joy is in the doing and getting better.
I hope when you post your work, you do a list of how you did it and what you used. The ammo cans look great but would like to know what kind of paint you used, sanding, prep and stuff like that.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love that stuff. I enjoy working with wood and DIY stuff. I'm getting better but my joy is in the doing and getting better.
I hope when you post your work, you do a list of how you did it and what you used. The ammo cans look great but would like to know what kind of paint you used, sanding, prep and stuff like that.

On the ammo cans. More Rust-o-leum. It's my "go to" spray paint. As for prep, all I did was wipe them down with dawn and water then rinse and let dry. Lol

I still have a couple to paint

20180126_181359.jpg

I also made my gun cabinet out of an old Military tent crate if you wanna see that.

Last edited:

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wife gave me the thumbs up with the blue and white ammo cans. May go with, all match, or different colors for different cals. Might do favorite teams like OU, Thunder, Dodgers etc. (I'll do all the empty shell casings in OSU...you know...all brass and no powder)

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ummm... Ok.
I'll bite.

It started out in Fort Sill, went to Afghanistan, was damaged (corner was mildly broken), then used by a soldier to ship his stuff home. Once he was home he didn't need it and I got it from him.

I gutted it, repaired the broken corner (minor repair really), then built a base for it to stand on end. Then I added the shelves and made a barrel rest for each side.

I painted the shelves to match. On the outside, instead of repainting it I used a dark green stain to make it look more uniform but still leaving all of the wear and tear and original markings. I wanted to keep that to show that it did its duty and has the scars to prove it.

Originally made to hold 8 rifles. It currently is holding 10. I really need another crate to convert. Lol

Note: the first pic was taken 5 years ago and with a different camera so the color is a bit off.

20140128_213019.jpg

20180126_181410.jpg

20180126_181425.jpg

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It started out in Fort Sill, went to Afghanistan, was damaged (corner was mildly broken), then used by a soldier to ship his stuff home. Once he was home he didn't need it and I got it from him.

I gutted it, repaired the broken corner (minor repair really), then built a base for it to stand on end. Then I added the shelves and made a barrel rest for each side.

I painted the shelves to match. On the outside, instead of repainting it I used a dark green stain to make it look more uniform but still leaving all of the wear and tear and original markings. I wanted to keep that to show that it did its duty and has the scars to prove it.

Originally made to hold 8 rifles. It currently is holding 10. I really need another crate to convert. Lol

View attachment 113112
View attachment 113111
Nice job, but get a good safe to protect those guns.
I lost all of mine to a relative on meth that were in a very nice oak display case.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wife gave me the thumbs up with the blue and white ammo cans. May go with, all match, or different colors for different cals. Might do favorite teams like OU, Thunder, Dodgers etc. (I'll do all the empty shell casings in OSU...you know...all brass and no powder)

If you want that blue it is Rust-o-leum Gloss Seaside. And then just plain gloss white for the lids.

Oh, and last time I was there, Sooner State Pawn on SW 59th had 50cal cans for $8 each.

Latest posts

Top Bottom