NWCO Permit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What are your opinions on what a man can do to protect his own livestock? I've lost about 6 hens in the last two nights. Walked out to go to work this morning and saw the perp chasing a rooster in the lots beside the house, I didn't have time to grab a rifle out of the truck, but I was able to empty the mag from my CCW on him. Doubt that any of the shots connected, but he got the message. I would imagine he will be back. Can I use any methods to rid myself of this mangy violator? By any methods, I mean snares, conibears, etc. I think that you have to have a NWCO permit to use those tools, but does that apply to protection of one's own livestock? This paragraph from the ODWC website confuses me...

Species not requiring a NWCO permit:
The following species may be controlled without having a NWCO permit: armadillo, bats (except for certain endangered species) coyote, English (house) sparrow, European starling, feral pigeon, flying squirrel, gopher, porcupine, ground squirrel, moles, mice, rats, and amphibians (except for certain endangered or threatened species) feral swine and woodchuck.

Species requiring a NWCO permit:
NWCOs are only authorized in Oklahoma to trap and relocate/euthanize the following wildlife species when such action is warranted by a valid nuisance wildlife complaint: armadillo, badger, bats (except endangered species), beaver, bobcat, cottontail rabbit, coyote, fox squirrel, gray squirrel, flying squirrel, gray and red fox, ground squirrel, jackrabbit, mink, muskrat, nutria, opossum, gopher, porcupine, raccoon, rats, striped skunks, snakes, weasel spp., and woodchuck.

Coyote is listed as both requiring a permit and not requiring a permit. Any thoughts on that?

My own opinion, I will kill that SOB with any and all means necessary.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
The use of a snare is the only advantage the NWCO permit will give you for coyotes............but you have to do the record keeping and documentation, etc. A govt trapper and a handful of snares is a really efficient way of taking out some coyotes. He'll be back, just at a different time of day.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom