Obama Announces 214 More Sentence Commutations: 50+ with Firearms Charges

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So the problem is guns, not people? I mean, if they were non-violent without the firearm, does the firearm make them violent, especially if they never used it in an aggressive manner?

Doesn't matter if they used the weapon in an "aggressive manner", "violent" or "non violent" ... or if they had it up their butt for personal enjoyment. Federal sentencing guidelines have mandatories when dope and guns are mixed. In theory that is supposed to keep bad people with dope and guns off the streets longer.

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It isn't a double standard. In short, those people should never have been in prison to begin with.

Do you know specifically what they were charged with to be able to say that they “should never be in prison”?

Do you think that prosecution of federal drug/gun crimes is just part of the “racist platform” of the Republican Party and you have an obligation to mindlessly apologize for anything Obama?

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you know specifically what they were charged with to be able to say that they “should never be in prison”?

Do you think that prosecution of federal drug/gun crimes is just part of the “racist platform” of the Republican Party and you have an obligation to mindlessly apologize for anything Obama?
They were in prison for non-violent drug crimes, which shouldn't be crimes, and therefore shouldn't have been punished and imprisoned. Having a firearm wouldn't have mattered because they wouldn't have been committing a crime to begin with. This isn't about racism, partisanism, or my opinion of Obama (which isn't a good one). I'm not "mindlessly apologizing" for anything...I'm saying this particular move by Obama is actually pro-gun and I agree with it.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Doesn't matter if they used the weapon in an "aggressive manner", "violent" or "non violent" ... or if they had it up their butt for personal enjoyment. Federal sentencing guidelines have mandatories when dope and guns are mixed. In theory that is supposed to keep bad people with dope and guns off the streets longer.

Just because the law says something does not make the law right. That is why we have tools like jury nullification, commutations, and pardons.

Federal sentencing guidelines are why violent criminals often spend less time in prison than non-violent criminals. That's a side effect of privatizing incarcerations and corrections.

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So Obama says these were “not violent criminals” and you mindlessly believe him? Are you incapable of doing any honest research because Obama said so? And you say you don’t have a good opinion of Obama? That is about as believable as you stating that the Republican Party platform is racist (still waiting for you to get some "free time" to unpack that one).

Dewayne Comer’s sentence is being commuted. He was serving time for running a drug ring that involved more than 1.5 kilos of crack. Ralph Casas sentence is being commuted after smuggling over ten tons of cocaine into the US. There was news today that reported that another felon whose sentence is being commuted had eight felony drug possession charges on his record.

So you think people serving federal time for engaging in a continuing criminal enterprise (drug dealers) and money laundering and some that were not just convicted of weapon possession but in some cases using a weapon in the commission of a crime should not be in jail? WTF is wrong with you?

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Just because the law says something does not make the law right.

If you feel the law is not right and that people convicted of federal drug trafficking and money laundering should not be in jail, change the law. And good luck with that.

Federal sentencing guidelines are why violent criminals often spend less time in prison than non-violent criminals.

Can you provide some link that says violent criminals spend less time in prison due to mandatory sentencing? The point to mandatory sentencing is to keep the bad guys off the street longer.

That's a side effect of privatizing incarcerations and corrections.

How in the wide world of sports is that related? Are you smoking dope now?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've not looked at the actual persons and convictions of those that have been incarcerated, but I am a rabid person against illegal drugs. I've seen its effects in my family, and I'll bet there are very few family's on this forum that have not been affected by drug use, be it prescribed drugs or illegal drugs.
Drugs are responsible for a large part of the crime in big and small cities. I've seen alcohol be an issue as well to be fair minded on the discussion and its been an issue in my family as well.
Both have committed crimes, and as they commit more, the punishment gets more harsh. A punk on the corner selling a dime bag as a third strike doesn't deserve life in the can. A drunk with three or more DUI'S gets to spend time in the can in most instances. Y'all can post up some guy that had five and walked, or some person that had two dozen minor drug convictions to argue the point, but the facts are that drug use and its addictions contribute to a huge amount of crime from stealing anhydrous, to importing tons of coke, crack, pot, etc, that in turn causes crime among the lower ranks, stealing, shooting, robbing and whatever among the population to get money to secure more drugs. Its a scourge upon this country.

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Yukon & Veg, read this as it is good intell & good info from the author of The War on Cops. Yup, Obama is really pro-gun-----if you are a criminal. Look at his "support" of criminals and drug cartels in Mexico with Fast & Furious.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/438698/obama-releases-prisoners-guilty-gun-crimes
When Does Gun Control Not Matter?
by Heather Mac Donald August 4, 2016 6:16 PM

(underlined portion my emphasis)
..."Many advocates of criminal-justice reform believe in maximum gun control, yet the White House press releases on the president’s commutations have been silent on the widespread incidence of illegal gun possession. It would seem that once someone becomes a member of the oppressed prisoner class, the gun issue becomes irrelevant.

The Justice Department press release also does not reveal the offenders’ criminal history, history of violence, ties to drug cartels, or the sentencing judge’s recommendation. Written requests to the president from federal attorneys to make the process more transparent have gone unanswered."...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom