Obama skipping Nancy Reagan's funeral

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
President Franklin D. Roosevelt did not attend Lou Henry Hoover’s funeral in 1944.
President Carter didn’t attend Mamie Eisenhower’s funeral in 1979.
President Reagan did not attend the longest-lived First Lady in American history Bess Truman’s funeral in 1982.
President Clinton did not attend Pat Nixon’s funeral in 1993.
President Bush did not attend Lady Bird Johnson’s funeral in 2007.
President Obama also did not attend Betty Ford’s funeral in 2011.

In fact, the only First Ladies whose funerals have been attended by a sitting President in the last 70 years were Eleanor Roosevelt in 1962 by JFK and Jacqueline Kennedy in 1994 by Clinton.

Is is fairly normal protocol. Nothing to see here. No "new lows", nothing to do with race or religion, either. Absolutely no need to get fired up.

Source please

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Source please

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2016/0...esident-obama-skipping-nancy-reagans-funeral/

The bottom line here is that conservatives have nothing to gripe about on this issue. Nancy Reagan’s funeral is also a private one and it is quite possible that President Obama was simply not invited to attend and the only reason Michelle Obama will be in attendance is because it is a long tradition that First Ladies attend the funerals of their predecessors just as Presidents attend the funerals of their predecessors.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my experience, both ultra conservatives and ultra liberals refuse and deny facts and instead choose to debate based solely off emotion.

Guns.
Marijuana.
Homosexuality.

Neither is innocent, both are comical. Ultra cons are the South Park stereotypical rabblers while ultra libs are the internet meme stereotypical "offended by everything" types.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
THIS is the only thing I'm annoyed about. http://keyetv.com/news/local/austin-mayor-encourages-people-to-work-from-home-friday

Our freaking traffic is bad enough and the mayor is a douche. Oh, the city has huge traffic problems. We'll add another lane to one of the major highways. Oh wait I forgot to mention we'll make it a TOLL lane. A-hole.

Oh what's that? Heavy traffic? Oh I know what we'll do.. We'll make every exit an on-ramp too! That way people will be trying to use one lane for both accelerating and decelerating. What could possibly go wrong?!?!

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree that this one isn't such a big deal - the first lady is attending and, let us remember, first ladies - current or past - are not elected members of the US government.
However, Pres. Obama missing Justice Scalia's funeral was, to my mind, a much more significant slight.

Latest posts

Top Bottom