Odd request from a former employee

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a caregiver that worked for us for a total of 2.5 weeks before quitting by pulling a no call/no show to a scheduled shift. This morning right as I'm in the middle of the most important work of the day. Lets just say in that particular office the only paperwork hangs in a roll on the wall. As I'm sitting there my cell phone starts to ring. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 calls in a row. These are coming in on my VOIP app on my phone so I know they are work related and her number was in as a contact.

As I'm washing my hands, call # 6 comes in. So I answer it this time. On the other end of the line is a hysterical girl crying and screaming at the same time. All I can make out is about every 5th word. Once she calmed down, she finally gave me enough to form a thought with. "I need a letter from you stating that I don't work there anymore. If I don't get that letter. My baby and I will be homeless."

At first thought I'm feeling truly sorry for her. Then my brain started working. In what capitalistic society does someone want proof they are unemployed in order to keep a roof over their heads? I for one drag my butt out of bed to go work 40+ hours a week just to give a good chunk of the money I make to the mortgage company. All to stay in the house I started paying on 11+ years ago. Then it dawns on me. Where she lives is government subsidized housing.

Just a week ago I handed her a letter stating her varied schedule and pay rate. This was to keep her daycare benefits. Today she was asking for a letter to keep her housing benefits. My head wants to explode right now. This appears to be a game that is played to work the system. I'm almost in the mood for a good old fashion curb stomping.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I wouldn't write it. absolutely nothing worse than a no call no show. Don't care if there's a baby, elderly, handicapped being forced into prostitition so the family can have Mac and cheese.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldn't write it. absolutely nothing worse than a no call no show. Don't care if there's a baby, elderly, handicapped being forced into prostitition so the family can have Mac and cheese.

That's a pretty harsh statement without full knowledge of why there was a no call, no show.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know that you're obligated to give her anything. It might be a different story if the housing authority presents a document signed by her authorizing said release of information. Her "baby" is being actively trained that the system will provide, free gratis. Feeding her addiction is hooking the next generation in turn. :(

That's a pretty harsh statement without full knowledge of why there was a no call, no show.

She quit via no-call, no-show. Yet she suddenly remembered to call (or found her phone) when she needed proof that she's no longer employed? That's pretty convenient!

Yeah, mark me down with caojyn. :(

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, mark me down with caojyn. :(

Me, also. In this day and age, there is no excuse for no call, no show. She only wanted the job for the letter for daycare assistance ... now that she has that under her belt, she needs a letter that she "lost" her job to keep her Section 8 housing. That particular "racket" has been around for years.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Me, also. In this day and age, there is no excuse for no call, no show. She only wanted the job for the letter for daycare assistance ... now that she has that under her belt, she needs a letter that she "lost" her job to keep her Section 8 housing. That particular "racket" has been around for years.

Yep. She's working the system at both ends.

Latest posts

Top Bottom