Official "I drew a controlled hunt" thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tulsaappraiser

New to the site!
Reaction score
I was drawn for McAlester "boggy" area. I am pumped and ready to go today, except I have to buy a recurve and start practicing. Going to Pat's Archery in Okmulgee for my bow. Does anyone have advice on were to go in the Boggy area? 11,000 acres are a little itimidating. Never been to McAAP, but have talked to a friend that went to "hominy" area twice. Said it is a hard hunt. I'm looking forward to it, but was looking for any info that might give me a little advantage vs. going blind. I understand all the rules, biggest question is about food plots, areas that see a lot of deer, hunt near the no hunt zones?!? etc.... Thanks!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was drawn for McAlester "boggy" area. I am pumped and ready to go today, except I have to buy a recurve and start practicing. Going to Pat's Archery in Okmulgee for my bow. Does anyone have advice on were to go in the Boggy area? 11,000 acres are a little itimidating. Never been to McAAP, but have talked to a friend that went to "hominy" area twice. Said it is a hard hunt. I'm looking forward to it, but was looking for any info that might give me a little advantage vs. going blind. I understand all the rules, biggest question is about food plots, areas that see a lot of deer, hunt near the no hunt zones?!? etc.... Thanks!

first of all let me welcome you to the forum!

Never hunted the Boggy area, but some on here have. I hope they chip in with some info.
I've hunted the Hominy area once. We were fortunate that the weather was cool and had a light mist.
I've been told that most of the time, its hotter than heck, and the ticks, and skeeters are murder.
I used the (brand name) Permanone one can get at wallmart in the camping section. Must have worked pretty good, as we did not get any bites.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I drew for a Sandy Sanders WMA either sex gun hunt. I am hoping that some good looking ladies drew in as well. LOL
Seriously I hear there is a chance of a good mule deer buck being seen as well.

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Go to the Traditional Shoot at McAlester AAP this year. I believe it's the first weekend in August. Lots of people there who have hunted the area and you can go on a velvet tour and see some of the deer up close.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I drew for a Sandy Sanders WMA either sex gun hunt. I am hoping that some good looking ladies drew in as well. LOL
Seriously I hear there is a chance of a good mule deer buck being seen as well.

Congrats on getting drawn!
I may be totally confused, but I'm thinking I saw where a mule deer doe was of limits??
I need to do some research.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congrats on getting drawn!
I may be totally confused, but I'm thinking I saw where a mule deer doe was of limits??
I need to do some research.

mule deer does are off limits....but as you will see my hunt is an either sex hunt. I was being humorous when I said I hope some good looking ladies (women) were drawn too. If I were to shoot a mule deer, it would be a buck only. But as far as whitetail goes, its either sex. I spoke to a guy that shot a 13 point (whitetail) that scored 148 about 6 or 7 years ago. He saw a mule deer buck that was a smaller 4x4.

Latest posts

Top Bottom