OFFICIAL January '16 AR15 build party thread!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I resemble that remark. lol

:pms2::pms2::pms2::pms2:

It happens to the best and worst of us.

But I think we all learned at least something. I had put two lowers together before and did not even think about a ziplock to keep stuff from flying. And OKNewsHawk found it useful a couple times. I think you said something about opening the vise jaws and using that as a cradle for setting in the gas tube pin was something you had never thought of, I just happened to figure it out when I was doing my build and nothing wanted to sit even so I could drive the pins.

Backstrap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can watch U-Tubes where everything almost puts itself together by magic in 10 minutes, but watching someone struggle with getting the springs and pins in place after picking a few parts up off the floor a few times or watching someone align the pin on a gas tube live is a whole different real story. Real stuff. Then looking down into the trigger assembly while you are operating it and watching how it operates is priceless.

^^^^That sums up the experience nicely! To date I've built 3 ARs by just using a compilation of YouTube videos as my guide, but tRidiot is by far the best instructor I've seen! I didn't build one yesterday, but learned a whole lot that will be applied to my next builds. Nightshade was also super helpful; as a matter of fact I think everyone who showed up contributed something at some point during the afternoon.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had put two lowers together before and did not even think about a ziplock to keep stuff from flying. And OKNewsHawk found it useful a couple times.
That I did! That little front takedown pin detent was a tough one! I'm thinking the next time I assemble a lower I'm going to put the parts in one of those space bags instead of a ziplock bag. I think I could use the extra room.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think we ended up using the edge of a knife to hold it in place till he could get the takedown pin in position. Luckily my knife edge was thin enough to get it done.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
By no means am I an expert but an exacto knife has been used in all of the 5 lowers I have assembled for the front take down and the bolt release. That's what's great about this site you learn things all the time that will help you on the next project.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Took my build to the range today. Sighted in with magpul pro BUS and then added a red dot. Shoots great. Thanks for the help putting it together.

Latest posts

Top Bottom