Official: OSA NFA Timeline Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I got that. It was the same form I filled out when applying to the permission from the gubberment to own one. Didn't know that was the form needed to keep with it. Printer is running as we speak. Thanks!
Welcome.

I haven't heard of the silicone oil seasoning process before. Is it a rimfire can?

Blue Heeler

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Before leaving he told me to order some 100% silicone oil that a lot of airsoft shooters use. Coat every internal part, reassemble and bake in an oven at 200 degrees for two hours. He said it would improve the cleaning time by light years.
The oil should be here tomorrow and I'll follow his instructions as he has suppressors on about 30 of his 50+ full auto rifles he rents.
Anyone else heard of using that silicone oil?
This …
You better contact your can mfg before you use that crap!
Guessing your baffles are aluminum and thus the suggestion to make them easier to clean. I would take bas402’s advice and check with your can’s manufacturer first.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome.

I haven't heard of the silicone oil seasoning process before. Is it a rimfire can?
Yes. I "seasoned" it today and took it out to the back yard to shoot. Looked like a muzzle loader with the smoke from the oil getting hot. LOL!
After about 20 rounds the smoke went away. I'll take it apart tomorrow and see how dirty it is and if the baffles can be cleaned easily. I realize it's a short test but I'm curious.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This …

Guessing your baffles are aluminum and thus the suggestion to make them easier to clean. I would take bas402’s advice and check with your can’s manufacturer first.
Yes they are. The manufacturer recommends a cleaning every 500 rounds if using jacketed ammo and 300-400 if using lead.
I have a ton of experience of trying to clean rimfire residue. My Steel Challenge rifle required a brake to make it louder so the range RO's timer could pick up the report. The residue building up on the brake is almost impossible to remove without a glass bead blaster. It's Stainless Steel btw so bead blasting doesn't hurt the metal. I can't use that on the aluminum baffles, so any suggestions of making cleaning easier is going to be noted.
As said in the earlier post, I'll take it apart tomorrow and see what gives.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wasn't able to pick up the suppressor until today as we were on the road this summer in the RV when the approval came.
Filled out the 4473, and was told that was all I needed to go. Isn't there a form that has to accompany the suppressor everywhere it goes that I should have got?

Before leaving he told me to order some 100% silicone oil that a lot of airsoft shooters use. Coat every internal part, reassemble and bake in an oven at 200 degrees for two hours. He said it would improve the cleaning time by light years.
The oil should be here tomorrow and I'll follow his instructions as he has suppressors on about 30 of his 50+ full auto rifles he rents.
Anyone else heard of using that silicone oil?
The advice I was given… Don’t buy anything with aluminum baffles and get a sonic cleaner. (Haven’t tried a sonic cleaner)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The advice I was given… Don’t buy anything with aluminum baffles and get a sonic cleaner. (Haven’t tried a sonic cleaner)
I have a RCBS sonic cleaner. Did they say what cleaning solution to use?
Edit, the point of aluminum baffles is to keep it light.
I tried my .30 cal Harvester on the FN-502. Too long and too heavy for a pistol. This little bird is extremely light.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a RCBS sonic cleaner. Did they say what cleaning solution to use?
Edit, the point of aluminum baffles is to keep it light.
I tried my .30 cal Harvester on the FN-502. Too long and too heavy for a pistol. This little bird is extremely light.
Non corrosive like simple green.

Latest posts

Top Bottom