Official Random Photo Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
img.photobucket.com_albums_v324_264Magnum_Oklahoma_IMG_3031.jpg

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The trail up to Goose lake. Just outside of Red River NM. It is beautiful up there. It is 9 miles up the trail to the lake and it takes about two hours to get there. It is well worth it.

i785.photobucket.com_albums_yy137_Biggsly_RedRiver20122063.jpg

i785.photobucket.com_albums_yy137_Biggsly_RedRiver20122049.jpg

i785.photobucket.com_albums_yy137_Biggsly_RedRiver20122047.jpg

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Biggsly is a hard "act" to follow, but here are a few photos taken in 2000 when we were staying at Purgatoire River Campground, which is west and north of Trinidad, Colorado. The campground has "developed" campsites, but there are absolutely no hookups. "Developed" means leveled areas for tents, picnic tables, fire rings, and parking spaces for RV's.

Sunrise, August 2000

i1190.photobucket.com_albums_z458_TerryandJo_Miscellaneous_20Images_P0001651.jpg

Daylight hours of same meadow and mountains

i1190.photobucket.com_albums_z458_TerryandJo_Miscellaneous_20Images_P0001640.jpg

Purgatoire River as it runs along the road leading into the campground area.

i1190.photobucket.com_albums_z458_TerryandJo_Miscellaneous_20Images_P0001659.jpg

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Biggsly is a hard "act" to follow, but here are a few photos taken in 2000 when we were staying at Purgatoire River Campground, which is west and north of Trinidad, Colorado. The campground has "developed" campsites, but there are absolutely no hookups. "Developed" means leveled areas for tents, picnic tables, fire rings, and parking spaces for RV's.

Sunrise, August 2000

i1190.photobucket.com_albums_z458_TerryandJo_Miscellaneous_20Images_P0001651.jpg

Daylight hours of same meadow and mountains

i1190.photobucket.com_albums_z458_TerryandJo_Miscellaneous_20Images_P0001640.jpg

Purgatoire River as it runs along the road leading into the campground area.

i1190.photobucket.com_albums_z458_TerryandJo_Miscellaneous_20Images_P0001659.jpg

Beautiful. I love going to Colorado too. We hope to move to the mountains someday. We went to Colorado one year and took two weeks to follow the mountains down to NM. It was one of my best vacations ever.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow! Makes me want to head out to NM or Colorado!

Purgatoire River Campground has served us well as a place to go and get away. We generally go up the week before Labor Day and leave the Saturday before. Usually, the only other ones in the campgrounds are hunters, and they are generally up on the mountains. One can hike from Purgatoire over to Blue Lake and Bear Lake, two other nice places to camp. Again, all developed, but no hookups.

From Purgatoire, we usually take day trips or goof around the immediate area of the campground. We carry wading boots so that I can walk up and down the Purgatoire River and take pictures from the middle of the river.

i1190.photobucket.com_albums_z458_TerryandJo_Miscellaneous_20Images_DSCN5757.jpg

Another favorite trip in the close vicinity is what I still call Apishapa Pass, now called Cordova Pass. From a parking area near the summit of the pass, one can hike up onto West Spanish Peak, at least to timberline if not all the way to the top. Just be cautious of the weather and lightening.

i1190.photobucket.com_albums_z458_TerryandJo_Miscellaneous_20Images_DSCN5690.jpg

While it is quite a bit further away, we also like to take a day and go to the Great Sand Dunes National Park.

i1190.photobucket.com_albums_z458_TerryandJo_Miscellaneous_20Images_DSCN5580.jpg

On the way to the Great Sand Dunes National Park, one can take a short side trip to see Zapata Falls. Zapata Falls is actually inside of a cave from which the river/stream flows in the picture below. That little walk into the cave to see it is another good reason for having wading boots. Just watch where you step because in a few places, it is over ones boots (mid calf high.) I found that out the hard way one time. A newlywed couple had walked back in to see the falls and when they came back out, she was hesitant to step across a pretty wide gap in the trail. I stepped over to offer my hand from the stream bed so that she could steady herself as she made the step. Yep, the stream was deep....and cold.

i1190.photobucket.com_albums_z458_TerryandJo_Miscellaneous_20Images_DSCN5534.jpg

Personally, I really like Purgatoire better than any other campgrounds we've found. I used to see a lot on the maps for the areas and finally took a week to just drive around northern New Mexico and south-central Colorado to check out those campgrounds. We like to camp in places that are off the road, have lots of trees, and have at least the sound of running water nearby. Of all the places we checked that week, none had all three of our criteria like Purgatoire has.

A review for Purgatoire can be found at the following link to an RV forum website. I wrote that for one of their categories that related to campgrounds.

Purgatoire River Campground Review

If you want to see more pictures of the campground, I write a blog related to "whatever" and posted some pictures in two different posts. If you want to see those as well, their links are below.

Playing with Live Writer and Pictures

More About Purgatoire River Campground

Latest posts

Top Bottom