Oh man ... Scotch ... 😍

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DB44

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere around 40 years ago, a friend invited me to a wake for his grandmother. The first toast was from a bottle of 50yo Macallan Scotch. My only previous exposure to something called scotch was an alcoholic co-worker who drank a brand of paint remover labeled Passport Scotch about a decade earlier. Every time I go out to the base, I check the price of a bottle of 15yo Macallan, sigh, and walk on by. I do not need anymore expensive hobbies. :(
But I am tempted.
Try a bottle of 12year old Highland Park. It won't break the bank and tastes wonderful!

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Granddad was a tool pusher in the oil field. At Christmas he would be given all kinds of liquor. He did not drink. On the crew's last shift before Christmas, picked up everybody in his company car. On the way home, the liquor was passed out.

I bought and moved into his house in '03.
Cleaning out the house, in the back corner of a cabinet, I found a sealed bottle of Old Yellowstone bourbon from 1959. 44 year old bourbon.

I am pretty sure in 1959 that was a pint of CHEAP ROT GUT.

43 years later, that was some smooth sipping nectar.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not really into hard liquor other than tequila. I like a good Marguita. I heard on different tv show the term single malt several times. So, the last time I went to the liquor store I asked the sells lady about a single malt scotch. She explained it to me on how it's made. So, I bought a bottle of Glenmorangie Highland Single Malt. It was the 10-year-old scotch. I don't know if that is even decent scotch. It ain't bad on the rocks but, I just wanted to try it and I have.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Granddad was a tool pusher in the oil field. At Christmas he would be given all kinds of liquor. He did not drink. On the crew's last shift before Christmas, picked up everybody in his company car. On the way home, the liquor was passed out.

I bought and moved into his house in '03.
Cleaning out the house, in the back corner of a cabinet, I found a sealed bottle of Old Yellowstone bourbon from 1959. 44 year old bourbon.

I am pretty sure in 1959 that was a pint of CHEAP ROT GUT.

43 years later, that was some smooth sipping nectar.
AFAIK, aging in glass doesn't change it much. To get the really smooth booze, you have to age in charred oak casks. Macallan is aged in casks that have been used to age Sherry first. Makes a BIG difference.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Try a bottle of 12year old Highland Park. It won't break the bank and tastes wonderful!
Got enough drunks and druggies in the family that I think I'll pass. Don't want to become one of them, especially at this late date, and my declining circumstances. Besides, I need more tooling for my lathes and milling machines, and a few more guns would be nice, too! ;) 15yo Macallan is around $130 for a 750ml bottle. That's a lot of import tooling. :)

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got enough drunks and druggies in the family that I think I'll pass. Don't want to become one of them, especially at this late date, and my declining circumstances. Besides, I need more tooling for my lathes and milling machines, and a few more guns would be nice, too! ;) 15yo Macallan is around $130 for a 750ml bottle. That's a lot of import tooling. :)

Ahhhh, true ... But 3 fingers and a nice sunset once a week is worth it -- much cheaper than therapy. 😉

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
AFAIK, aging in glass doesn't change it much. To get the really smooth booze, you have to age in charred oak casks. Macallan is aged in casks that have been used to age Sherry first. Makes a BIG difference.

The barrels make a BIG difference.

Setting in a bottle in a dark cabinet may or may not have changed anything, but that was the smoothest , next to a bottle of Sinatra select, I have had.

I don't buy $100 bottles of booze and that pint of Old Yellowstone is FAR from top shelf. Closer to Old Granddad, on the bottom side.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ahhhh, true ... But 3 fingers and a nice sunset once a week is worth it -- much cheaper than therapy. 😉
I feel guilty taking a sip of my wife's red wine. $$ for booze comes out of her grocery budget, which may have something to do with it. If it came out of my budget, it would cut into the machine tool and firearms funds, which I mostly accrue by not going out to breakfast with my machinist and train friends. Not to mention that Dumpstick has tempted me into participating in the Military Bolt-gun competitions at the OKCGC... It's cheaper than a paperback book, keeps me out of trouble for a few hours, and it's spouse-approved! ;) Might also give me more motivation to get my workshop cleaned out, set up, and organized. Besides, most everything I remember from that long ago has not lived up to the memories, and I'd hate to have to throw away a nearly full bottle of Macallan scotch...

Latest posts

Top Bottom