Ohio Man Illegally Arrested for Open Carry Sparks $3M Lawsuit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I respect your opinion that "open carry" of a firearm by a free, law abiding American citizen should not be allowed. But, my belief is that the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Respect my opinion and I will respect your opinion. You don't have to open carry, you don't have to carry concealed, and, you don't have to even own a gun. But, do NOT attempt to take away my right to choose what method of self defense is best for me. I am not infringing on your rights by choosing to open carry instead of concealed carry. And do not harass me, search me, or prevent me from going about my daily life by asking for my papers. I am a free man, do not tread on me. Until I commit a crime, I am not harming you, or anyone else. Do not incarcerate me for something I haven't done.

Thank you, DD

Well said!

.but ,what if you were Going to commit a crime??.... ;) ///Jk

.In Ltown it would have gone like this.
caller: there a man with a gun coming in to the store
dispatch:OK, is he shooting at any one, or waving the gun around . yelling?
caller:no hes getting a pop it looks like
dispatch: OK ,if he starts shootin, shoot back, then call and tell us how many times he was hit...Have a Great Day now...

tacmedic

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
\ Open carry does NOT equal probable cause and if you are not legally obligated to provide ID then "**** the police".

Surrendering your constitutional rights to appease someone in authority (who should know the law) and for convenience is WRONG As to the comments about "failing while in custody" since when does a badge allow you to commit felonious assault cause someone stood up to you?
I hope he sues them and wins. The law is plain and the cops were wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

DirtyDawg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Open carry does NOT equal probable cause and if you are not legally obligated to provide ID then "**** the police".

Surrendering your constitutional rights to appease someone in authority (who should know the law) and for convenience is WRONG As to the comments about "failing while in custody" since when does a badge allow you to commit felonious assault cause someone stood up to you?

I hope he sues them and wins. The law is plain and the cops were wrong.

Just RickN and Cinaet were upset at the fellow that stood his ground and demanded the police respect his 4th Amendment Rights.

Last edited by a moderator:

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I respect your opinion that "open carry" of a firearm by a free, law abiding American citizen should not be allowed. But, my belief is that the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Respect my opinion and I will respect your opinion. You don't have to open carry, you don't have to carry concealed, and, you don't have to even own a gun. But, do NOT attempt to take away my right to choose what method of self defense is best for me. I am not infringing on your rights by choosing to open carry instead of concealed carry. And do not harass me, search me, or prevent me from going about my daily life by asking for my papers. I am a free man, do not tread on me. Until I commit a crime, I am not harming you, or anyone else. Do not incarcerate me for something I haven't done.

Thank you, DD

Wrong read on what I am saying. The stupid part to me in the Ohio law is that you can not open carry a loaded weapon in car when it is legal to walk around with one. To my mind if you can legally walk around openly armed, you should be able to drive with one. Instead in Ohio it either has to be concealed or unloaded. That is the stupid part of the law and a good chance part of what the LEOs were trying to check out.

Now let me be clear about something else, I have no problem with open carry as a whole, it is the fact that many of us knew it was going to cause problems and while we knew mature gun owners would do everything they could to prevent a controversy that might paint gun owners in a bad light to the uninformed public, we also knew that there would be bozos that gave the gun grabbers more ammunition to use against us. You can bet that right now there is some gun grabber editor or political type going "See we told you so! The gun lovers are totally unreasonable and should not be allowed to own firearms, let alone carry them in public."

DirtyDawg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wrong read on what I am saying. The stupid part to me in the Ohio law is that you can not open carry a loaded weapon in car when it is legal to walk around with one. To my mind if you can legally walk around openly armed, you should be able to drive with one. Instead in Ohio it either has to be concealed or unloaded. That is the stupid part of the law and a good chance part of what the LEOs were trying to check out.

Now let me be clear about something else, I have no problem with open carry as a whole, it is the fact that many of us knew it was going to cause problems and while we knew mature gun owners would do everything they could to prevent a controversy that might paint gun owners in a bad light to the uninformed public, we also knew that there would be bozos that gave the gun grabbers more ammunition to use against us. You can bet that right now there is some gun grabber editor or political type going "See we told you so! The gun lovers are totally unreasonable and should not be allowed to own firearms, let alone carry them in public."

So, let me get this straight. You are not against open carry? Your bashing of the gentleman that knew the law and his constitutional rights sure seems like just the opposite. Instead of bashing him, how bout donating to a legal defense fund, like all of us should, to help this gentleman, and all gun owners, retake our freedoms back?

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/8823

Here's one out of Ohio that I have read about in the past.

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
99% of the people in this thread would immediately pull out their wallets and hand over their ID under the same circumstances. So would the other 1%. :)

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
99% of the people in this thread would immediately pull out their wallets and hand over their ID under the same circumstances. So would the other 1%. :)

MMMM, under Ohio Laws....it would depend on how I felt that day, and how I was approached by said LEO...
so......70% of statistics are ...made up 60% of the time , in favor of the one claiming statistics

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, let me get this straight. You are not against open carry? Your bashing of the gentleman that knew the law and his constitutional rights sure seems like just the opposite. Instead of bashing him, how bout donating to a legal defense fund, like all of us should, to help this gentleman, and all gun owners, retake our freedoms back?

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/8823

Here's one out of Ohio that I have read about in the past.

My dislike of his tactics or lack there of is based on the simple fact that the LEOs were investigating a call and I believe they had the right to want to see his ID or at least get his name to be sure he was allowed to carry. If he had just been walking down the road and a cop saw him and stopped him it would be a different story. I will not give a dime to support what I see is stupidity on his part.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dislike of his tactics or lack there of is based on the simple fact that the LEOs were investigating a call and I believe they had the right to want to see his ID or at least get his name to be sure he was allowed to carry. If he had just been walking down the road and a cop saw him and stopped him it would be a different story. I will not give a dime to support what I see is stupidity on his part.

Fortunately, what you believe and what is actually the law are not the same.

Latest posts

Top Bottom