Ohio Man Illegally Arrested for Open Carry Sparks $3M Lawsuit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fatboy Joe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rick, what you don't understand is the person in this case did not commit a crime before being questioned by the police. Ohio has made it their law that you don't have to present your identifying information unless you are being suspected of a crime. You scenario about a someone carrying illegally does not hold water. This would be like the OK Sherriff profiling cars on I-44/I-35 interchange because they suspect them for carrying drugs. THey just can't pull you over and search your vehicle because you are black/hispanic.

What the law enforcement did here was wrong, even if the victim was being an ass he has that right to under Ohio law. Now if the victim met the description of a strong armed robbery suspect and was seen carrying a gun, then your probable cause goes way up.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No, Rick, some of us just don't give a crap what gun grabbers or public employees think about our rights. Gun grabbers won't play nice just because we're quiet, responsible folks. It ain't "live and let live". Being quiet, polite and PC has caused enough problems already. If you are free, you don't need to worry about getting hassled for exercising your rights. If some taxpayer funded employee wants to make you uncomfortable, or afraid to exercise those rights, I say bring down all the wrath you can on them. Make them RESPECT your rights.

Stupid. All you're gonna do is bring down a heap load of crap on your head. They'll make you RESPECT their AUTHORITY. On the side of the road or in front of 7-11 is never a good place to try and hold court with the police. Show them your permit, save yourself some grief, and then if your still feel violated and inflamed hire an attorney and sue.

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rick, what you don't understand is the person in this case did not commit a crime before being questioned by the police.

Have you read the whole discussion? Several pages back he's answered that the LEOs didn't/don't know what the guy is up to until they get on the scene and identify him. Someone called in a complaint and it's their job to answer the complaint.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Stupid. All you're gonna do is bring down a heap load of crap on your head. They'll make you RESPECT their AUTHORITY. On the side of the road or in front of 7-11 is never a good place to try and hold court with the police. Show them your permit, save yourself some grief, and then if your still feel violated and inflamed hire an attorney and sue.

That's the exact reason why we need more $3.6million lawsuits. If departments started getting pimp-slapped with such whenever their officers violated a citizen's rights, perhaps they would stop doing so. We are a nation of laws. We are not a nation of JBT's.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you read the whole discussion? Several pages back he's answered that the LEOs didn't/don't know what the guy is up to until they get on the scene and identify him. Someone called in a complaint and it's their job to answer the complaint.

So what should happen if the police get a call that some guy is driving a car. Do they have to respond? Do they need to get to the scene to identify him?

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They'll make you RESPECT their AUTHORITY.

I don't think you understand what "respect" means - respect is earned or given. What you are talking about is "fear" ... fearing the "authority" is not what this country is based on.

I've never had a bad experience with a police officer in my life - even when I was doing dumb sh!@ and getting busted for it. Police officer's job is to uphold the law. Violating someone's rights ain't it; even if police got lucky and the guy was "Ohio's most wanted" - with a video like that he would've been acquitted and walked scot free.

neginfluence04

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You guys think what you want but the responsibility of the LEOs is pretty much the same all over the country, and this is exactly the kind of thing many of us that were not in favor of open carry were worried about. When the gun grabbers start in trying to do away with open carry because of crap like this, you do not get to scream about it. You brought it on yourselves.

and the truth shall set your free. I totally understand now why you're against this whole case. Just because you aren't in favor of something doesn't mean you have the right to tell others they shouldn't do it either. That's like trying to beat the gay out of your son or worst pray it out of him.

Last edited:

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

And the courts will make them respect yours...IF you have standing. You have to be aggrieved to have standing; if you comply, the courts will find that you complied voluntarily. If you want to make an issue of it in court, you have to make enough of an issue of it to be put out of your way. You also have to be right, but that's a separate matter; in this case, it appears that our friend was.

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So what should happen if the police get a call that some guy is driving a car. Do they have to respond? Do they need to get to the scene to identify him?

Well doc, like I said, someone called in a complaint. What do you expect the police or the sheriff's deputies to do when a complaint is called in? Tell the caller, "Don't worry. The guy's probably not a threat. Call us back if he starts shooting." Or we could maybe give anarchy a try. ;)

images

Latest posts

Top Bottom