Ohio Man Illegally Arrested for Open Carry Sparks $3M Lawsuit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I see what you did there - an emotional approach to feel that the money is coming out MY pocket.

Well, WE can either pay the man for his damages, or WE can keep paying the police to detain, arrest and harass US for no reason other than lack of accountability, responsibility and knowledge of the law they are supposed to uphold. Either way - WE are suffering the consequences of poor city management that WE elect :(

How do I make this clear, as you obviously didn't read the link I posted. I will pay $190 per year more in property taxes for the forseeable future and I will be paying a 1/3 penny more in sales tax because some county government functionaries screwed up and the courts awarded $22M in damages over it. When YOU demand obscene payouts on transgressions like this, WE all pay. Again, for the umpteenth time, I don't mind the guy getting a reasonable settlement. $3.6M...isn't. :(

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How do I make this clear, as you obviously didn't read the link I posted. I will pay $190 per year more in property taxes for the forseeable future and I will be paying a 1/3 penny more in sales tax because some county government functionaries screwed up and the courts awarded $22M in damages over it. When YOU demand obscene payouts on transgressions like this, WE all pay. Again, for the umpteenth time, I don't mind the guy getting a reasonable settlement. $3.6M...isn't. :(

I did read the link. And I understand that you think the amount is unfair/unreasonable/outrageous. All I am saying is that the amount is not for us to decide - lawyers and judges are there for that.

You already pay $2000+ in taxes to the city; the city didn't do their job and created 22M deficit via lawsuit; and you choose to be blindly mad at the recipient of the 22M instead of the people who gave it away? Who is being unreasonable? Should people quit suing cities for 22M or the cities need to quit screwing people out of 22M ... TWICE! First time wrongdoing someone and second time coming up with money from your pocket!

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"for sitting in the back seat of a patrol car for 20 minutes because he's too stubborn to give his name and DOB"..

Why should he have to?....reason.....nonya!

.When is having your rights violated....OK?

.Which ones will you give up next?

.I agree about the $3mil ,And know where it comes from....Maybe We should change That Law...after all doesnt it ALL eventually come from WE?

I respect what your saying ...but when/where does it stop?

10bird

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the court awards the guy a small amount then why would police in the future respect your constitutional rights? They would gladly pay $3.60 for the one in hundred people that stand up for their rights and trample on the other 99.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the police there need to be trained in how to ask the right questions. Instead of what is your name? They should have asked, politely, "Sir do you have a permit to carry that firearm?...May we see it?"

Where they screwed the pooch is making up charges to file against him. I'd be willing to be a Benji or two that had the police not said "Listen here lowly citizen, you tell us what we want to know or we will charge you with this and this and this..." then the guy wouldn't be filing the lawsuit.

While I agree the amount is likely over the top nothing will change in this country until we the populace hit them where it hurts, in their pockets.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the police there need to be trained in how to ask the right questions. Instead of what is your name? They should have asked, politely, "Sir do you have a permit to carry that firearm?...May we see it?"

Where they screwed the pooch is making up charges to file against him. I'd be willing to be a Benji or two that had the police not said "Listen here lowly citizen, you tell us what we want to know or we will charge you with this and this and this..." then the guy wouldn't be filing the lawsuit.

While I agree the amount is likely over the top nothing will change in this country until we the populace hit them where it hurts, in their pockets.

Caller: You won't believe this but here's a man walking around the store with a gun on his hip!
Dispatch: Ok, is he waving the gun around or threatening anyone?
Caller: No, just walking around. Looks like he's going to buy a pop.
Dispatch: Ok, well you do realize that is legal, right?
Caller: No. You can't just walk around with a gun.
Dispatch: Yes, you can.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just remember, the PD doesn't pay. The city doesn't pay. The taxpayers pay. My county is suffering from this as we speak. http://www.newson6.com/story/17124884/judgment-against-rogers-county-hikes-taxes So when you talk about giving a guy $3.6 MILLION dollars for sitting in the back seat of a patrol car fro 20 minutes because he's too stubborn to give his name and DOB, you're saying: "WE broke the law and made this man suffer, so we're fining ourselves $3.6M to ensure that WE don't do this again.

I keep saying that I think the guy should get something for his troubles, so long as he acts like a reasonable citizen of the community, and not a selfish little brat that wants a golden ticket to retirement. Something tells me that isn't in the cards with him though. :(

It sounds like WE need to elect a mayor who will get the constabulary to behave in accordance with the law. He might start by replacing the police chief.

That's how accountability works: the person at the top of the food chain is held responsible, and it filters down. If it's the citizenry, then they bear the pain of the fines, which encourages them to be more responsible with their votes. If they aren't, well, I guess they're okay with tax hikes.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did read the link. And I understand that you think the amount is unfair/unreasonable/outrageous. All I am saying is that the amount is not for us to decide - lawyers and judges are there for that.

You already pay $2000+ in taxes to the city; the city didn't do their job and created 22M deficit via lawsuit; and you choose to be blindly mad at the recipient of the 22M instead of the people who gave it away? Who is being unreasonable? Should people quit suing cities for 22M or the cities need to quit screwing people out of 22M ... TWICE! First time wrongdoing someone and second time coming up with money from your pocket!

First, you're wrong about the lawyers and judges. That's what JURIES are for. Second, it was Rogers county, not a city. Third, I never said the plaintiff (business) in the Rogers co. suit wasn't entiteld to $22M, I said this clown shouldn't feel entitled to $3.6M.

It helps if you keep your facts straight.

"for sitting in the back seat of a patrol car for 20 minutes because he's too stubborn to give his name and DOB"..

Why should he have to?....reason.....nonya! Agreed

.When is having your rights violated....OK? Never

.Which ones will you give up next? None

.I agree about the $3mil ,And know where it comes from....Maybe We should change That Law...after all doesnt it ALL eventually come from WE? Yes. I'm not for tort reform in this case, I'm for a little common sense (yeah, I know, it isn't that common).

I respect what your saying ...but when/where does it stop?

When we all say "enough".

Again, it costs them not a single, thin dime. You think they're going to deduct that $3.6M from municipal paychecks? No, they're going to deduct it from citizen's pockets! My suggested actions were a written apology from the PD, an internall memo, additional training for all officers (which costs overtime from their budget), and monetary ACTUAL damages to the guy. With him asking for $3.6M, not a single one of the things I suggested will be offered. They'll clam up, then let the lawyers and money handlers deal with it all. They won't even be on the receiving end of an FBI civil rights violation investigation. So how does any bit of that help the community? :anyone:

It sounds like WE need to elect a mayor who will get the constabulary to behave in accordance with the law. He might start by replacing the police chief.

That's how accountability works: the person at the top of the food chain is held responsible, and it filters down. If it's the citizenry, then they bear the pain of the fines, which encourages them to be more responsible with their votes. If they aren't, well, I guess they're okay with tax hikes.

So let's ask the guy if he'd be willing to drop the $3.6M down to actual damages, if the mayor and chief resign. I'd lay odds that he wouldn't. :(

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
GTG, I may be mistaken, but for some reason, I seem to recall that you're either an LEO, or otherwise work for the government. Am I correct, or do I have you confused with somebody else?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
GTG, I may be mistaken, but for some reason, I seem to recall that you're either an LEO, or otherwise work for the government. Am I correct, or do I have you confused with somebody else?

Correct on both counts. In case you're wondering, I consider myself a citizen first and a .gov employee/LEO second. I agree that this guy was within his rights and the officers were wrong. Just not, you know, $3.6M wrong. :(

Latest posts

Top Bottom