Ohio Man Illegally Arrested for Open Carry Sparks $3M Lawsuit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can't we find a middle ground here? The cops were wrong and the guy was a jerk. The cops should offer a settlement of an apology, an official memorandum and training for the entire dept. and actual damages to date (attorney's fees). If that's unacceptable, go to court. If I were on the jury, I'd find for the plaintiff and award a whopping $3.60, along with the aforementioned apology and training, case closed.

No way is this idiot's case worth $3.6M. :rolleyes2

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Note to self: If I'm ever in trouble in Ohio, just call the police, tell dispatch there's gunmen afoot. The police will come badger everyone for half an hour and threaten to arrest them for no reason so I can make my escape.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Can't we find a middle ground here? The cops were wrong and the guy was a jerk. The cops should offer a settlement of an apology, an official memorandum and training for the entire dept. and actual damages to date (attorney's fees). If that's unacceptable, go to court. If I were on the jury, I'd find for the plaintiff and award a whopping $3.60, along with the aforementioned apology and training, case closed.

I'm not making any argument about the dollar amount, only that ultimately, he was in the right.

Whether he was a jerk or not doesn't matter. (not legally - it does for gun rights) Being a jerk is not a crime, and not cause for anyone else - especially LEO - to break the law to "punish" someone for.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
and i dont think a speeding ticket should be $125 +++ court costs of about$110+++points against your driving record ,people do this all the time
$3.60 is an insult to military veterans....maybe $360k would make them think before they body slam an old man and threaten him.... ;), next time I'll offer an apology about my speeding, I'll let you all know how that works
He was in the right according to The Law ,,he Must be recompensed...monitarily
and unfortunely being a jerk is not against the Law....or the prisons would be full

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not making any argument about the dollar amount, only that ultimately, he was in the right.

Whether he was a jerk or not doesn't matter. (not legally - it does for gun rights) Being a jerk is not a crime, and not cause for anyone else - especially LEO - to break the law to "punish" someone for.

The cops were wrong, so we agree.

He must have had only three and a half freedoms taken away, since you know "Freedom Isn't Free. It costs a buck o' five." :P

The lawsuit for $3.6M is pig ignorant, so we disagree! :D

and i dont think a speeding ticket should be $125 +++ court costs of about$110+++points against your driving record ,people do this all the time
$3.60 is an insult to military veterans....maybe $360k would make them think before they body slam an old man and threaten him.... ;), next time I'll offer an apology about my speeding, I'll let you all know how that works
He was in the right according to The Law ,,he Must be recompensed...monitarily
and unfortunely being a jerk is not against the Law....or the prisons would be full

This isn't criminal law, it's civil. It's a preponderance of evidence, and culpability should be assigned proportionally. What that means is that being stubborn and unreasonable SHOULD have a significant impact on the damages awarded. If the cops were in the wrong, but the citizen then compounded the problem (which he did), damages should be reduced. I did say that if the PD took steps to resolve the issue, but the asshat refused in an attempt to cash in (as a $3.6M demand would suggest), he should get his judgement, and it should be a message to him and everyone else that thinks a no harm interaction should be the equivalent of winning the lottery.

Yeah, I'd give him $3.60. :disappoin

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take what you can get , theyll (whomever) get the message...or
taking away someones rights ....really means a slap on the hand, I think thats how we got where we are.

.Slap theyre hands ...done deal..then the next..and nasuem
Are fines about punishment or revenue collection, and which side would that differ on, or are they a way to teach right from wrong?
$3.60 is as much a joke as $3.6 mil ,I believe its about reparations, but how do you repair a violation like this, its like PTSD, it could take years.
Both parties were wrong, but only one was illegal.
I just think an apology is not enough,repairs need to be made, or would it be punishment?
I guess the answer to that question is.....How much money do you have?

.I got a seat belt ticket in texas a couple yrs back, the fine in ok was $25 dollars at the time, tx was $145 dollars.
Ill pay $25 dollar no problem, I dont go to tx unless I Have to, but I Always put on my seat belt

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Take what you can get , theyll (whomever) get the message...or
taking away someones rights ....really means a slap on the hand, I think thats how we got where we are.

.Slap theyre hands ...done deal..then the next..and nasuem
Are fines about punishment or revenue collection, and which side would that differ on, or are they a way to teach right from wrong?
$3.60 is as much a joke as $3.6 mil ,I believe its about reparations, but how do you repair a violation like this, its like PTSD, it could take years.
Both parties were wrong, but only one was illegal.
I just think an apology is not enough,repairs need to be made, or would it be punishment?
I guess the answer to that question is.....How much money do you have?

.I got a seat belt ticket in texas a couple yrs back, the fine in ok was $25 dollars at the time, tx was $145 dollars.
Ill pay $25 dollar no problem, I dont go to tx unless I Have to, but I Always put on my seat belt

Just remember, the PD doesn't pay. The city doesn't pay. The taxpayers pay. My county is suffering from this as we speak. http://www.newson6.com/story/17124884/judgment-against-rogers-county-hikes-taxes So when you talk about giving a guy $3.6 MILLION dollars for sitting in the back seat of a patrol car fro 20 minutes because he's too stubborn to give his name and DOB, you're saying: "WE broke the law and made this man suffer, so we're fining ourselves $3.6M to ensure that WE don't do this again.

I keep saying that I think the guy should get something for his troubles, so long as he acts like a reasonable citizen of the community, and not a selfish little brat that wants a golden ticket to retirement. Something tells me that isn't in the cards with him though. :(

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
WE broke the law and made this man suffer, so we're fining ourselves $3.6M to ensure that WE don't do this again.

I see what you did there - an emotional approach to feel that the money is coming out MY pocket.

Well, WE can either pay the man for his damages, or WE can keep paying the police to detain, arrest and harass US for no reason other than lack of accountability, responsibility and knowledge of the law they are supposed to uphold. Either way - WE are suffering the consequences of poor city management that WE elect :(

Latest posts

Top Bottom