OHP Revolvers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back in the day, Troopers could carry whatever they wanted caliber wise (if they could qualify with it) but it absolutely had to be a Smith & Wesson revolver.

I knew two Troopers personaly, rode on patrol with them on several occassions.

One was Trooper Art Garner 515. He carried a nickeled model 29. The other was Trooper Clyde Collis 627 who carried a model 58 in blue.

When they started letting them carry autos BEFORE they were issued them, the Trooper had to purchase his own and the only brands OHP authorized were the Smith & Wesson 3rd gens and the Sig Sauer P220 and P226.

They also had to attend a transition school and qualify with their chosen weapon.

Eventually when the 40S&W cartridge came out in 1991, Troopers could also go with it. They also approved Glocks for duty use as well.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My old sheriff was a retired OHP captain out of Enid and he carried his old service revolver. I asked him what it was and he said that it was a 681. So, I know that at least some OHP troopers carried the 681.

A darn fine gun. BTW, the 681 is one of my usual carry guns.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
GED, Your probably the only fella I know who if you had a dollar for every gun you've sold, traded, flipped, or flopped, you'd be filthy rich!!!!!!

Hell, if I had just a nickel for every gun I flipped, I could buy the prrsidency and still have enough left to buy a minor league baseball team.

But I miss the S&W wheelies the most of all.

Latest posts

Top Bottom