Oil change intervals.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn’t really want a debate, but if you want to roll 15,000- 20,000 on the same filter. You do you. I was just curious.
I know what the car companies say, but they are in the business to sell cars.
Not debating. I don't care if you change it every 1500 miles, it doesn't affect me in any way. Just supplying info is all.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I ran oil analysis on my first three Dodge Diesel Trucks. I could go towards 15000 to 18000 miles before potash started rising. So I opt to change about 12000 to 13000 on them. I am on my 11 Dodge Diesel Truck and the analysis seems to be holding true.

On my gas vehicles every 5000 miles seems to have worked well for me all these years as well.

gl55

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been using Walmart Supertech 100% Synthetic oil and AC Delco filters for at least 15 years now maybe longer in my GM vehicles and reset the GM oil life monitor when I change it. When the change oil warning light comes on I change it. I never have to add oil between changes.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do every 10K with Full synthetics for all 3 vehicles...all are turbo engines.

Every 3K was pushed by Petroleum Companies - can't believe people still fall for it.
I was in a Petroleum Engineering Class in 1981, the instructors and a few of us was sitting around bull shitting and one of them made a statement to the effect of in the near future there is coming a big push by Oil Companies to start a campaign of changing oil in autos ever 3000 miles, and we will start seeing oil change oil drive ins pop up. Damn if it was not a year or so later just that started happening.

Same instructor simply said to follow the Mfg of said vehicles recommendations on normal or severe use intervals.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like I said earlier up thread, oils today are a lot different than they used to be. Very generally speaking engine oils in Europe have always been far better than ours. After WWII when additives for viscosity, EP wear additives and detergents started getting used, Europe used a lot more of those things. Why? Because they didn't have much oil in the first place and had to conserve what they had as much as possible, so they formulated it to last much longer. Here in the US we have always had gobs of it so we went cheap figuring we could change it every 3 months. In Europe that just wasn't possible due to cost.

Today the gap has narrowed. API specifications require a lot of testing to be certified. The oil in the bottle has always lasted far longer than the additives in there with it. Most people don't realize that, and they just think "oil is oil". If that were the case we've been changing oil too often for about 80 years. lol

Today's EPA demands for better fuel economy and running oils that are almost as thin as water have demanded that very robust and high tech additive packages be used. The oil today in a yellow Pennzoil bottle or a green Castrol bottle is vastly superior to what you bought in 1970. It doesn't even compare.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have used Blackstone Labs for oil analysis, and they will help you maximize your oil life.
The life of your oil has many variables so request free test kits and they send you small plastic bottles to collect a sample and send it to them for a full report on metals found and other important oil specs and also recommend a different milage change time.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have used Blackstone Labs for oil analysis, and they will help you maximize your oil life.
The life of your oil has many variables so request free test kits and they send you small plastic bottles to collect a sample and send it to them for a full report on metals found and other important oil specs and also recommend a different milage change time.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/
What is the cost of this service?

Latest posts

Top Bottom