Oil company wanting a temporary easement on my property

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImTheDude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
$750 is honestly cheap. I would ask for double.

I have dealt with way to many of these types of leases and never dealt with one that was that cheap for a surface run of a mile.

I have seen landowners start putting a trash clause in their contracts as well. Trust me. There will be trash. Period. At $100 per piece of trash found, they seem to start paying attention very well after a fee coke cans get tossed out a window and left.

I find beer/coke/monster cans all the time from the pumpers, really pisses me off.

ImTheDude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm in a similar position, but they are putting in a permanent pipeline across our place starting in about 6 weeks.

We have a massive gas pipeline running underground east to west across the property, it stretches for 25+ miles, but starts on ours. I actually kind of like it because it really opens up a nice 25 yard cut through an otherwise very wooded area.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
We are dealing with an easement issue right now where their flexible water pipe was laid on one side of the access road, but when they started pumping is slowly rolled into the road. we called and called and warned them that at some point someone is liable to hit the tube and crush a connector, causing a leak leading to a giant rut and possible spoilage of a water well that was close.

Sure enough, it got hit, burst, destroyed the road and they are now having to test the well - not to mention stopping their operation on the well they were pumping to. They have had to bring in 5 truckloads of fill dirt, sand and gravel to repair the road.

My suggestions are based on the amount of grief we had to go through to get them to repair the damage. they wanted to just grade the road down 4 inches and call it good. we weren't having it. We didn't get anything special out of the deal, we just wanted our road back after the mess their negligence caused.

I won't even mention the trucks that are always blocking the north entrance of the property because they don't want to drive over a cattle guard.

Oh, and get this, one of THEIR trucks hit the pipe.

cw821

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd try to get a few hundred more. Take that money and treat yourself to a new scope or rifle or bow. You'll probably still be able to hunt most of the season. If there has been other oil activity in the area, the deer probably aren't going to be that thrown off. I work oil field and see deer and turkey all the time near where we are.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have a massive gas pipeline running underground east to west across the property, it stretches for 25+ miles, but starts on ours. I actually kind of like it because it really opens up a nice 25 yard cut through an otherwise very wooded area.

My son is pissed, but I'm taking the cup half full approach. The part of our property that the pipeline is going across is a tamarack thicket, and I think the "sendero" they're cutting will make that part of the place much more huntable.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
You guys crack me up.

I would say $750 is a fair offer. HOWEVER, if you are truly worried about it screwing up your deer hunting then asking for more or simply saying no isn't out of the question. BUT don't get carried away with your offer or they will just go around you.

Here is the real question nobody has asked. How many feet of easement/right of way are they paying for? That can be a big factor on the price.

You crack me up that I crack you up.............when you can see a dozen rigs in the sky every day for the last three years, you kind of catch on to the way things work.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
My son is pissed, but I'm taking the cup half full approach. The part of our property that the pipeline is going across is a tamarack thicket, and I think the "sendero" they're cutting will make that part of the place much more huntable.

Agreed, get it while you can.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I would just explain to them if it wasn't right before deer season I would take a $1000 but my hunting is worth more then that to me I would take $2000 and go hunt somewhere else.Donnt know what oil company it is but a lot of oil companys have large tracts of land that they own the surface also some with very good deer on them ask to deer hunt it this year.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would make sure it is worth you while. You should be able to get double what they are offering easily. I would also agree that a trash clause and a clause to put the road back to before with a fresh layer of gravel or at least a satisfactory grading should be mandatory.

Latest posts

Top Bottom