Oil company wanting a temporary easement on my property

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justin_h635

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
$1000 TOPS! You have no leverage for more and they will run it across the fence from you and screw it up (I do not believe it will) only you don't get the cash.

Do you own minerals on land? If so, keep fighting "progress" and your name will go on the naughty file cabinet. The good cabinet is where the $$$ is.

Also if there is numerous oilfield activity, deer get used to it and actually let their guard down in some ways.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have 80 acres on our gun club, and I manage the oil company's that have mineral rights to our place. Its a hot bed as we speak with two drilling sites, access roads, utility easements, and multiple pipelines both above and below ground.

Okie 4570 hit the nail on the head. Hire an attorney that is familiar with oil company land business. We found out we were being low balled on the first offer for a drilling site. Actually tripled the price in the end.

Even though they say, "this is what your neighbor got" it may actually be, but they did not hire an Attorney. Since its our range, we were concerned with possible spills, traffic, road construction, road construction materials, utility's, and traffic. Our range is private by membership. Gates have to be locked, etc.

Should the roads, not be properly maintained, gates not locked, etc, the oil company can loose their rights for access.

All of that being said, when we did hit them with the Attorney's contract, they signed it with no objections.

When they built the access road, we had them run it along the pistol bays, along with the electric utitility poles. Reason for that was we now have a new access road to our bays and the potential to have electricity on our shooting areas, at their expense. Worked out good for both party's.

Bottom line: Hire an attorney, to protect your property. 99.9% of oil company's are good to go. You don't want to meet that .1%

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Our lawyer said that they should pay us $100/rod, and the place they want to cross is about a quarter mile. 80 rods@$100=$8k

There have been some interesting numbers thrown out here. Maybe it's just me, but I would think they would be willing to pay more to lay an actual pipeline than a temporary.

I can't remember now, but a couple years ago, the seismic crews were crossing in front of my favorite deer stand in October with me in the stand. I killed the second largest buck I've ever killed a few days later.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless they are willing to pay thousands of dollars, I'd tell them to go around, even if they did offer to pay big bucks I'd have to think about it. The money sounds good until there is a problem and you have a big fight on your hands.

I have fought with oil producers over just keeping a gate locked and maintaining a road as they are required to do. I refused to allow them to use their company lock on my gate because they did not control who had keys. I hired a dozer service to do some work on a pond, when I arrived to let them in the gate, they were already in, they had a key because they had done work for the oil company!! They finally agreed to use my lock, then were making keys and handing them out!! I finally locked it with a registered lock and sent them keys, they DID NOT like the fact that they could not have keys made for the lock! They regularly trash the roads and it's like pulling teeth to get them to maintain them.

There is no way I'd voluntarily allow them to use my property, it just isn't worth the hassle!

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Our lawyer said that they should pay us $100/rod, and the place they want to cross is about a quarter mile. 80 rods@$100=$8k

There have been some interesting numbers thrown out here. Maybe it's just me, but I would think they would be willing to pay more to lay an actual pipeline than a temporary.

I can't remember now, but a couple years ago, the seismic crews were crossing in front of my favorite deer stand in October with me in the stand. I killed the second largest buck I've ever killed a few days later.

$100 per Rod is completely out of the question for a temporary line. The price you are giving is based on a permanent line.

I have been involved with putting together no less than 60 different lease agreements and easements over the last 3 years. Granted it is all in western Okla. Never would $100/Rod be accepted out this way.

ImTheDude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
$100 per Rod is completely out of the question for a temporary line. The price you are giving is based on a permanent line.

I have been involved with putting together no less than 60 different lease agreements and easements over the last 3 years. Granted it is all in western Okla. Never would $100/Rod be accepted out this way.
Have you ever seen a day rate contract like bassin mentioned?

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One thing no one has mentioned and seems to be over looking as far as hunting goes....
It's what we've been dealing with the last few year on one of our leases.
Not only do those guy come in and out constantly, they are also the most deer poaching mother fawkers you'll ever see! Sure the deer would get use to the traffic if they left the deer alone. BUT THEY WONT!

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

The pipeline going across our place is permanent, and the place is in Alfalfa county.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The pipeline going across our place is permanent, and the place is in Alfalfa county.

Gotchya. I mistook you as the OP who is talking about a temp line. I have seen up to $175 a rod being paid on pipelines. Honestly, $125 has become pretty normal in what I have seen in recent months. Out here, 7,00-10,000 an acre in damages for well pads and 7,000-8,000 an acres on lease roads.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gotchya. I mistook you as the OP who is talking about a temp line. I have seen up to $175 a rod being paid on pipelines. Honestly, $125 has become pretty normal in what I have seen in recent months. Out here, 7,00-10,000 an acre in damages for well pads and 7,000-8,000 an acres on lease roads.

I did some checking, and the "$100/rod" figure is just what we got on a pipeline that went across another tract a couple years ago. I'm not sure what they are offering on this one, but we have an attorney in Cherokee who handles these deals for us. I sure hope "$175/rod" is the current price!

Latest posts

Top Bottom