OK Deer the early years. ODW Duck and Fletcher report.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justin_h635

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Everyone that cares about Oklahoma wildlife, hunting, etc should do theirselves a favor by clicking on the link below and looking at the Duck and Fletcher report "A Survey of Game and Furbearing Animals of Oklahoma". I think it was published at the request of ODW in 1943. It is incredible.

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/facts_maps/archives/Game&Furbearing_Animals_oklahoma.pdf

1933= 5 counties 235 total deer

1939=6 Counties (Atoka, Latimer, LeFlore, McCurtain (61%), Pushmataha (14%) and Pittsburgh) = 379 legal bucks and 5 illegal does

The next year in 1940 = 314 legal bucks and 4 illegal doe.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Amazing how far we have come with not only deer, but turkey, and waterfowl.
My uncle had land in Osage county in the 50's.
ODW contacted him and the area landowners about hosting a deer transplant. They agreed to not hunt them. 11 does and 2 bucks were sent from Colorado, and released.
I don't know How many other areas they did this same thing, but I've always felt pretty good about our family helping the effort.

Now, if they could just figure out those quail....

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My memory only goes back to about 77-78. I know then if ya seen deer it was a topic at the cafe or barbershop. Seeing turkeys might make the local paper.

Latest posts

Top Bottom