Ok LeMons Race

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I googled and did not really find any specific rules. What are the rules?

They had a junkyard deal type race at Thundervalley
And i know for a fact some people way broke the rules.
Cars were not supposed to have more than a few hundred tied up in them and I know of one guy that spent 2700 on stuff and dyno tune time.

Cars are not cheap today with scrap prices through the roof.
I hauled off steel scrap just yesterday and 6 bucks a hundred pounds is what it brought.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I googled and did not really find any specific rules. What are the rules?

They had a junkyard deal type race at Thundervalley
And i know for a fact some people way broke the rules.
Cars were not supposed to have more than a few hundred tied up in them and I know of one guy that spent 2700 on stuff and dyno tune time.

Cars are not cheap today with scrap prices through the roof.
I hauled off steel scrap just yesterday and 6 bucks a hundred pounds is what it brought.
Rules you can get to in the second link. Basically 500 but doesn’t include all the safety equipment. If the judges think you went over, you get penalty laps added.

Prices & Rules - 24 Hours of LEMONS some links here and at the bottom of that page.

“2.4 Whiner Eligibility. Whiners are not eligible to compete. If you believe that you might be a whiner, please check with a domestic partner, guardian, or healthcare professional before getting the rest of your team kicked the hell out of the race.”

There are some most excellent rules.

Last edited:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man my Uncle that raced NASCAR when they were on dirt and beyond tried to get me to get into circle track racing and got the rule book from the OKC Fairgrounds track.

I read it and it was a hard pass.

I read the cage requirements and .120" wall DOM is not cheap.
I had 300 tied up in just the tubing for a cage for my 69 Camaro and I bought the steel and did the bends and welds myself.
That was back in 1996 I would hate to see the price today.
The head and neck restraint is a 500 minimum and then a newer helmet than I have along with fire suit for each team member.

And the Entry fee.. WOW.
Then you need a car that you do not mind destroying.

Lots of work for eeeehhhh a little fun.

I told my uncle I have a great time driving my hot rod to Thunder valley and racing buddies on Grudge night.
Way cheaper.

Not that I mind spending money but all that work to just destroy it and it is not street legal.
If it was it would not be quick as per their claim rules unless you got the deal of the year.

I am sure some people love to pour money and time into a hoopty and go destroy it but I do not have it in me.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Man my Uncle that raced NASCAR when they were on dirt and beyond tried to get me to get into circle track racing and got the rule book from the OKC Fairgrounds track.

I had 300 tied up in just the tubing for a cage for my 69 Camaro and I bought the steel and did the bends and welds myself.
The head and neck restraint is a 500 minimum and then a newer helmet than I have along with fire suit for each team member.

And the Entry fee.. WOW.

I told my uncle I have a great time driving my hot rod to Thunder valley and racing buddies on Grudge night.
Way cheaper.

Not that I mind spending money but all that work to just destroy it and it is not street legal.
If it was it would not be quick as per their claim rules unless you got the deal of the year.

I am sure some people love to pour money and time into a hoopty and go destroy it but I do not have it in me.
I used to circle track race at Meeker and OKC. It was the most expensive and most time consuming, but by far the most fun hobby I ever had.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

And the Entry fee.. WOW.

Way cheaper.

Trying to think of a good way to do this for charity. Sponsors can pay entry fees, consumables, etc I think. and who ever said you had to pay for things?

I think the way to go is for the IOE build. Reliability and fun over speed.

https://24hoursoflemons.com/blog/cheap-race-car-build-winning-lemons-with-55-horsepower/
The penalties sound funny
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/zero-hour-miata/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom