Ok, why can't I hit anything???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seriously... I tried to get my varmint AR sighted in yesterday...

Shot it at about 20-25 yards, was nailing the paper, nearly touching holes for 3-round groups. Just using factory 55-gr target loads, nothing fancy.

Here's my varmint build -

i236.photobucket.com_albums_ff121_tRdoc_20130322_013133_zpsf1e0e177.jpg

Spike's Punisher lower
RRA LPK
JP low-power springs
Wilson Combat 24" stainless bull barrel 1:8 twist
Samson Evolution 15" handguard
Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x40 with illuminated V-Brite reticle (w/ 1/4 MOA clicks)
RGuns BCG

When I moved back to probably around 80ish yards, I couldn't even hit the damn target! Seriously... 8" paper target, I did maybe 10 rounds, zoomed in at 9x, and never even hit the paper! I know there is a difference in rise and drop over distance, but seriously? Shouldn't be NEAR that much, right?

I'm new to rifle sighting, so I've got no idea what I'm doing, but I thought this was basically the procedure? Sight it in as tight as possible at 25 yards, then move out little by little, perfecting the little things. I am hoping to turn this thing into a 500+ yard tack driver. But I don't know if it's just my skill that's that bad, or what. I was shooting seated with the rifle resting on a plastic folding table with a large bag of kitty litter as my sandbag. Rifle resting on the bag supported by the rail, pushed well back from the table, leaning forward, not back. Everything seemed quite stable, although I can already tell I am going to want to do some trigger work, maybe put in a nice trigger to smooth things up.

But am I wrong in thinking there's no reason in hell I should go from about a 3/4" group of 5 shots at 25 yards to unable to hit the paper at 80 yards or so? It might have been 100 yards, but I'm seriously doubting it... not that that would make any real difference.

Grrr... I would take it to a range like 2A and let someone help me, but the fact is, there's nowhere indoors to shoot longer than 25 yards that I know of. :( And I don't have much time off to travel, although I'd be willing if I did. I AM off tomorrow, but I am HOPING to have plans with a certain lady I know, which, to be honest, will trump shooting, unless she can come (she DOES love to shoot ARs!). We shall see...

So.... suggestions?

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't offer much in the way of assistance but I can confirm your expectation. Aiming dead center my AR puts rounds pretty close together anywhere between 25-300 yards. You aren't just fighting bullet drop there, something else is going on.

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think maybe you were shooting over your target. My service rifle (15 lb ar15 with 20 inch barrel and iron sights) when zeroed at 100 yards the rear sight is adjusted all the way down, 0 elevation. If I want to zero at 25 yards I have to add 11 clicks of elevation. I know it seems backwards but that is how it works.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Did you go back to 25 yards and see if it was still shooting to the point of aim?

Maybe something came loose on the scope mount or you bumped it somehow.

93 FOX

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First off, make sure everything is tight. Scope rings and mounts then Don't move out so far. Shoot it at 25 yards again, then move to 45 and shoot. If your shot is slightly higher then odds are you'll be even more at 80. Zero it at 25 then 45 then 65 then 100. Just shoot twice at each distance, that should let you know exactly where your missing.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
maybe try a heavier bullet. my heavy barrel loves 62 grain wolf but does somethng similar with the 55 grain.
my m4 carbine loves the tula 55's for 25-200 yards.
what twist is your barrel? 1/10, 1/9, 1/7?
put up a big cardboard and see if your getting perfect round holes or they are tumbling at the longer distance.
could need a recrown if theres the slightest nick.
How many rounds you got thru it? might straighten out after a couple hundred and broke in.

you need to always use a big cardboard backer 3'x3' or 4'x4' when moving to longer distances so you can have some idea of the problem

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
are you accounting for the bore/sight offset ?

This. And oneof79 is likely right.
With a flat shooting round and scope a couple of inches above the bore, you likely need the bullet to strike (POI) one to 1.5 inches below point of aim (POA) at 25 to be "on" at a hundred. But that is a generalization depending on the actual distance your scope is above the bore and the speed of your cartridge.

With any set up, there are only two places down range where your POI will exactly match your point of aim....where the bullet crosses your line of sight.

Found the chart below that might help explain it. It is for a .308 but the principle is the same. Differences are that your .223 is faster and it looks like your scope is more than the 2" above the bore and that will do it. Your 8" target is only 4" above the center point. Distance the sighting device is above the bore is a big deal in setting up a firearm to hit close to POA over multiple ranges.

Last edited:

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
are you accounting for the bore/sight offset ?

Since I'm not really familiar with that concept, I'm going to have to do some research, I can see. lol

Did you go back to 25 yards and see if it was still shooting to the point of aim?

Maybe something came loose on the scope mount or you bumped it somehow.
Still tight everywhere. No, I didn't go back to 25... was getting dark and I was soaked with sweat and being eaten alive by bugs. lol

You are welcome to come use my bore sight tool to align your scope with your barrel, then go out and try it again.
Saves a bunch of bullets.
I will think about this... though I thought about just buying one of my own. Gonna have to research that, too.

First off, make sure everything is tight. Scope rings and mounts then Don't move out so far. Shoot it at 25 yards again, then move to 45 and shoot. If your shot is slightly higher then odds are you'll be even more at 80. Zero it at 25 then 45 then 65 then 100. Just shoot twice at each distance, that should let you know exactly where your missing.

Difficult in my situation... don't have a clear flat area, lots of brush in-between the two spots I chose. But I can look into it.

maybe try a heavier bullet. my heavy barrel loves 62 grain wolf but does somethng similar with the 55 grain.
my m4 carbine loves the tula 55's for 25-200 yards.
what twist is your barrel? 1/10, 1/9, 1/7?
put up a big cardboard and see if your getting perfect round holes or they are tumbling at the longer distance.
could need a recrown if theres the slightest nick.
How many rounds you got thru it? might straighten out after a couple hundred and broke in.

you need to always use a big cardboard backer 3'x3' or 4'x4' when moving to longer distances so you can have some idea of the problem
Twist is 1:8. Barrel and rifle are all new parts, this is the first time putting more than 10 rounds through it just to function-check. Everything is tip-top shape, including the crown. Definitely not 'broken-in'.

Latest posts

Top Bottom