Okie City's bridge from nowhere to nowhere

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That nice wide shoulder/gutter pan set aside for bicyclists (which was not paid for by the bicyclists community) is the bicycling lane. And, I believe by state statutes, cyclists are required to ride in when present. Meaning, don’t ride in traffic lanes when bike lanes are available. Regardless of what kind of small rock trash may be there.

I’ve read the manuals, the complaints of the trash in the narrow adjacent bike lanes. The retiming of traffic lights in downtown to make it convenient for cyclists to make the light so they don’t have to stop/start at signals. But, it’s okay to inconvenience the driver. Also, allow the cyclists to travel the wrong way on a one way street because they are more likely to take a direct route to their destination. (So this would allow them to break the law legally now). Which, puts all the responsibility on the vehicle driver and not the cyclist. A nice way for a driver to loose his butt in a law suit.

It’s amazing my generation survived riding our bicycles without a single paved trail or lane yet today we have to set aside designated routes for cyclists. And then, listen to them complain about what they got that they didn’t pay for out of any fees established for cyclists. What an ungrateful liberal lot.
Yeah, I'm super liberal.

I was trying to explain why you might find a bike using the road. It's usually a safety thing for the cyclist. I'm not sure why there is such hostility towards bikes, but whatever I guess.

I wouldn't ride anywhere downtown during the week. Too many angry 4 wheelers, clearly.

bushmaster06

Hoist the black flag.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OKLAHOMA CITY (KFOR) – The pedestrian bridge over Northwest Expressway has been under construction since 2021 and in that time, businesses along the construction zone say it may be driving away their customers, literally and figuratively.

“It would be like a mission impossible with this traffic,” said the Owner of Eggceptional Cafe, Ignacio Irra.

Irra and his family opened Eggceptional Cafe back in May.

Unfortunately, he says the “bumper to bumper” traffic in their area is all they’ve ever known.

NW Expressway Tuesday morning. KFOR photo. Pedestrian bridge over NW Expressway closed off Tuesday morning. KFOR photo.
“It’s just pretty hectic. I’m not sure if that’s either good or bad for us. It could help people slow down and look at our restaurant or it could just be like, ‘I don’t want to stop by because this is going to be a hassle leaving,'” explained Irra.

His other concern is the construction and traffic comes out of nowhere when coming from side streets.

“Sometimes my children will come in and kind of help us out, but I kind of don’t want them to anymore because they used to walk by this little private street right here, but people don’t go slow. It’s starting to become a concern and to avoid any tragedies,” Irra said.

‘It’s been well anticipated,’ Multi-million dollar OKC project in its final phase
The City of Oklahoma City Public Works Public Information Officer, Shannon Cox said she understands the difficulty of driving through these construction zones, but they’re working as diligently as they can.

Cox told KFOR the project was supposed to wrap up by the end of this year, but because of “some material delays and unanticipated things,” the completion date has now been pushed back to spring 2023.

Construction started in November 2021.
At least it isn't like the post-tension pedestrian bridge in Miami that collapsed a few years ago within a few weeks of the span being lifted into place that killed some people. It was supposed to be the first of its kind, built adjacent to the street it was supposed to cross and lifted onto the supports in one massive section, designed by an all-female engineering team. So, at least there's that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom