Okie City's bridge from nowhere to nowhere

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1911DA

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another total waste of taxpayers money thru a maps fiasco.......this is supposed to connect to the high dollar bicycle trail that runs along wilshire and north council road that no one uses preferring to take up a whole lane on wilshire and council riding those dumbass bicycles in the traffic stream

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another total waste of taxpayers money thru a maps fiasco.......this is supposed to connect to the high dollar bicycle trail that runs along wilshire and north council road that no one uses preferring to take up a whole lane on wilshire and council riding those dumbass bicycles in the traffic stream
You voted for or against MAPS I assume?

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My entire career Ive been against bike lanes, multi use paths, walking trails, and many enhancement projects that take highway user fees to construct off system projects. The bike trail this bridge services is in my opinion, a huge waste of money. Especially for the amount of pedestrian traffic it will service on a daily basis.

At one time ODOT was going to include Oregon’s bicycle manual in their new Roadway Design Manual. Talk about a woke ass liberal manifesto for the bicycling community. Thankfully, this hasn’t happened yet.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There was a case years ago, where a new highway alignment was designed and it included a bridge over some creak or river. This was in NE OK, can't remember the county but it maybe Tulsa or Roger's. The bridge was built and then the alignment was scrapped. I believe Gene Stipe was involved. So today there is still a lone bridge standing out in the middle of some pasture.
That story came from my dad who was the planning director at ODOT.
All the details of why it happened, I won't testify to.

oksportsman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not familiar with this project but there are 1000 things that can arise unexpected to cause delay.
Could be the contractor, could be an environmental issue that was missed, could be a flaw in design that was overlooked.
OKLAHOMA CITY (KFOR) – The pedestrian bridge over Northwest Expressway has been under construction since 2021 and in that time, businesses along the construction zone say it may be driving away their customers, literally and figuratively.

“It would be like a mission impossible with this traffic,” said the Owner of Eggceptional Cafe, Ignacio Irra.

Irra and his family opened Eggceptional Cafe back in May.

Unfortunately, he says the “bumper to bumper” traffic in their area is all they’ve ever known.

NW Expressway Tuesday morning. KFOR photo. Pedestrian bridge over NW Expressway closed off Tuesday morning. KFOR photo.
“It’s just pretty hectic. I’m not sure if that’s either good or bad for us. It could help people slow down and look at our restaurant or it could just be like, ‘I don’t want to stop by because this is going to be a hassle leaving,'” explained Irra.

His other concern is the construction and traffic comes out of nowhere when coming from side streets.

“Sometimes my children will come in and kind of help us out, but I kind of don’t want them to anymore because they used to walk by this little private street right here, but people don’t go slow. It’s starting to become a concern and to avoid any tragedies,” Irra said.

‘It’s been well anticipated,’ Multi-million dollar OKC project in its final phase
The City of Oklahoma City Public Works Public Information Officer, Shannon Cox said she understands the difficulty of driving through these construction zones, but they’re working as diligently as they can.

Cox told KFOR the project was supposed to wrap up by the end of this year, but because of “some material delays and unanticipated things,” the completion date has now been pushed back to spring 2023.

Construction started in November 2021.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OKLAHOMA CITY (KFOR) – The pedestrian bridge over Northwest Expressway has been under construction since 2021 and in that time, businesses along the construction zone say it may be driving away their customers, literally and figuratively.

“It would be like a mission impossible with this traffic,” said the Owner of Eggceptional Cafe, Ignacio Irra.

Irra and his family opened Eggceptional Cafe back in May.

Unfortunately, he says the “bumper to bumper” traffic in their area is all they’ve ever known.

NW Expressway Tuesday morning. KFOR photo. Pedestrian bridge over NW Expressway closed off Tuesday morning. KFOR photo.
“It’s just pretty hectic. I’m not sure if that’s either good or bad for us. It could help people slow down and look at our restaurant or it could just be like, ‘I don’t want to stop by because this is going to be a hassle leaving,'” explained Irra.

His other concern is the construction and traffic comes out of nowhere when coming from side streets.

“Sometimes my children will come in and kind of help us out, but I kind of don’t want them to anymore because they used to walk by this little private street right here, but people don’t go slow. It’s starting to become a concern and to avoid any tragedies,” Irra said.

‘It’s been well anticipated,’ Multi-million dollar OKC project in its final phase
The City of Oklahoma City Public Works Public Information Officer, Shannon Cox said she understands the difficulty of driving through these construction zones, but they’re working as diligently as they can.

Cox told KFOR the project was supposed to wrap up by the end of this year, but because of “some material delays and unanticipated things,” the completion date has now been pushed back to spring 2023.

Construction started in November 2021.
Not familiar with this project but if it's City run and paid for, pretty sure they are paid by the hour lol.
ODOT pays huge incentives to contractors for early completion.
NW highway through OKC used to be state highway 3. We handed it over to the city some 15 years or more ago.

1911DA

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And it passed. Go bitxh at our mayor.
Believe me l have and to the city council...........just like that arena downtown that every big business has had their name on.....now IIRC it's the Paycom center ........ and it ought to be named the Oklahoma County Taxpayers Center since we the people paid for the damn thing over the years.

Latest posts

Top Bottom