Okies and Ice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I drove around Iowa in the winter in a V8 305 5 speed Camaro and never ended up in the ditch during the winter. I learned to drive on snow and ice but I also make sure I leave space and that is the biggest problem I see most of the time. One jackwagon trying to push another and it doesn't matter if it's snow and ice or just rain there are tons of accidents. 4X4 vs 2X4 is pretty much irrelevant here even when it is snow and ice especially when you are riding tail. Not to mention stomping the gas to see one wheel on the front spin and one on the back. It's all about being gentle on the throttle and easy on the brake generally stepping off the throttle so you slow down as naturally as the vehicle can on it's own without using the brake. But too many people want to leave out with five minutes of extra time when the weather sucks rather than the thirty to forty minutes early they should.

I stay home when it gets nasty so I don't get hit by other people not because I can't drive on it and be safe. I simply know that the odds of someone else hitting me is too high to risk it.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I drove around Iowa in the winter in a V8 305 5 speed Camaro and never ended up in the ditch during the winter. I learned to drive on snow and ice but I also make sure I leave space and that is the biggest problem I see most of the time. One jackwagon trying to push another and it doesn't matter if it's snow and ice or just rain there are tons of accidents. 4X4 vs 2X4 is pretty much irrelevant here even when it is snow and ice especially when you are riding tail. Not to mention stomping the gas to see one wheel on the front spin and one on the back. It's all about being gentle on the throttle and easy on the brake generally stepping off the throttle so you slow down as naturally as the vehicle can on it's own without using the brake. But too many people want to leave out with five minutes of extra time when the weather sucks rather than the thirty to forty minutes early they should.

I stay home when it gets nasty so I don't get hit by other people not because I can't drive on it and be safe. I simply know that the odds of someone else hitting me is too high to risk it.
Winter in Des Moines to me really wasn't all that bad. Once all that snow packs down it doesn't really matter what you drive its pretty easy getting around. Nothing shuts down there. I had my big lifted 4X4 with me there but usually just drove my Supra around. Only problem was it was a pure California car- had a bypassed heater, so I just used plugin 12v heaters. Those -30 nights coming home at 2am after closing up my bar were pretty interesting but I had a lot of fun living there and still have business and family there. I didn't fix the heater in that car til I moved down to OK. OK's winters with the mix of ice and snow suck w/o a heater or defroster and made it impossible to drive it without.

on the road...tapatalkn

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last week when I was in New Mexico on an elk hunt.
Unless you had a half track, you went nowhere.
2' of snow with 50mph winds.
Pic is from the back side of the motel where we were at. The front side had drifts up to the second floor.

68ec1acc528f9b7e555d671968829edb.jpg

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought my GMC 2wd SUV as a performance and audio system vehicle plus I needed a new rig for hauling my gear on my cross country trips after my old one got retired. It had summer/performance 275-40-20 tires on it when I got it and I changed them out to Yokohama street/sport all-season radials. Its rides really smooth and is great on most any surface especially rain and snow but damn if it hits nasty azz black ice (not all the time but intermittently) the ABS kind of freaks out and you really have to be on your toes then because it is really sensitive when you get on ice and its iffy at that point. It doesnt do it all the time, but once was enough for me. Any other surface it has no problems. I stay up on my rotors and pads and change em when needed, all systems have checked out, its just super sensitive on ice. If I lived where we had snow and ice all the time the ABS on this one vehicle would prolly be disabled. I have 7 vehicles and its the only one that does it.

Last edited:

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You guys think Oklahoman's drive bad on the ice? You need to see people on southern California drive after 1/4in of rain. When I went to work the other morning I saw all three types of drivers.

1. Go 80 and act like everything is normal
2. Go 15-25 and try not to die
3. Go about 40-50 pay attention to your surroundings/the road.

Latest posts

Top Bottom