Old school vs New school

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Someday I am going to buy an old cannon for the front yard. I keep joking that with three girls I’m gonna need it to scare off the riffraff. I want the boys to think to themselves “her dad is a crazy Jarhead with guns and a cannon”.

I have plenty of evil black synthetic toys so my next will probably be something in a single action Colt. I really want a new production Colt SAA 45LC in a 4.75” Nickel finish.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do that, but after shooting flintlocks I am afraid I will not rejoin the modern world. I still have a few but that is for zombies and such. I don't need a lot to whack them. May even pull out a flinter and do one just for fun!

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You guys need to check out the Colt collection at Woolaroc if you haven't already..........for you that like the older ones.

The man knows of what he speaks. The Colt collection at Woolaroc is incredible. The Paterson Colt collection there is known worldwide. If you go there and take a look at the Patersons, consider that an original, boxed revolver with accessories is worth $250k on up.

I do that, but after shooting flintlocks I am afraid I will not rejoin the modern world. I still have a few but that is for zombies and such. I don't need a lot to whack them. May even pull out a flinter and do one just for fun!

Same for me. As time goes on I appreciate the classics more and more. After all these years I still don't have a 1860 Colt Army. I'd like to score one then install a Kirst conversion in it to run .45 LC though I have some '58 Remingtons already setup that way. I need to get my flintlock back out too!

Sniper John

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My guns are mostly old school, but I do get suckered into something modern now and then. My last purchase was a savage smokeless muzzleloader. About as modern as you can get on an old school concept.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A few years ago, I got to play with a Colt SAA that was (at the time) just over 100 years old. It was a sorry-looking (can you say "keep the sandpaper away from pistols!"), but the feel of that iron was something else, incredibly well balanced, and it just had this solid "quality" about it, right down to the four (C-O-L-T) clicks when cocking the hammer, that's not there in modern pistols (and I'm a big fan of crunchentickers). My Colt Gov't Model has that same "made by craftsmen" feel...

pistolguy

Marksman
Reaction score
Here, just one pistol is kept at hand, the Keltec PF 9, with the Twisted Industries .22lr conversion unit. My girl uses a Kahr CM9. The AR and the 1911 are kept in the storage locker, minus the bolt of the AR, and the firing pin and hammer of the 1911. Both have .22lr conversion units. Typical theives won't have a clue how to make the assemblies go bang. :-)

Sorry to disillusion you, but the old Colt SAA broke down a lot, due to the tiny leaf springs being used in the mechanism. That weakness is what made Ruger SA revolvers sell so well, and made Colt drop the SA about WW2 time, and only brought it back, after many years, as a "custom shop" option.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
True, the SAA Colts need some work to withstand the abuse of cowboy action shooting, etc. There's no way they could compete with a modern polymer wonder like a Glock or M&P but the design dates back to 1873.

What the Colt SAA is, though, is an American icon and that's why they are held in high regard.

pistolguy

Marksman
Reaction score
in your mind, perhaps. but there's been many times as many Ruger .22 autopistols, Smith k frame .38's, and 1911's sold as SAA's. I wouldn't waste the space in my vault on one, but that's also true of almost every other pistol. I'd rather be highly skilled with just one than have many guns and be slow/inaccurate with them,.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
in your mind, perhaps. but there's been many times as many Ruger .22 autopistols, Smith k frame .38's, and 1911's sold as SAA's. I wouldn't waste the space in my vault on one, but that's also true of almost every other pistol. I'd rather be highly skilled with just one than have many guns and be slow/inaccurate with them,.

[Broken External Image]

Latest posts

Top Bottom