Only YOU Can Protect Net Neutrality

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
would someone explain to me why substituting the control of ISP's over data with the control of the FCC is somehow better?
This is a serious question. I see the pros and cons to "net neutrality" but I am having an issue with believing more government involvement is better.

sure .. it's a changing world .. used to be internet access was not common place. fast forward to today where internet access is routine and part of everyday communication for most everyone that accesses the web. which includes just about all OSA members.

it's a fact that network speed is a MAJOR factor in deciding if any website is worth visiting. if OSA takes say two minutes to load each page .. without question OSA traffic would quickly go away. now apply that example to any website in the world, especially sites that stream video.

if the FCC would grow a backbone and classify all internet service providers as class II communication carriers .. then all ISP would be forced to give all parties equal access.

currently only America has ISP (internet service providers) that permanently keep their network saturated at 90% ... purposely degrading their own network. the logic that it costs to provide service to ISP's customer so content providers should pay to access is bogus!!!

ISP's conveniently forget their customers are already paying for their backbone costs and are already paying for internet access. only in America do major backbone providers like Level 3 offer to pay for peering upgrades at no costs to folks like Comcast and TWC to get rid of permanent 90% saturation levels. what Comcast and TWC don't tell you is they turn down those free peering upgrades.

Comcast and TWC has intentionally downgraded their own customer's web access speed. web access that their own customers are already paying for.... now these two mega ISP are wanting to merge .. ya right .. that would be realllly horrible for everyone!

to check for yourself throttling is happening ... next time your internet access slows to a craw .. do a DSLreports speed test. which probably will come back at blistering speeds (2.5mb/sec +++). yet the streaming website you are trying to access is running at a craw (under 50kb/sec) ...

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I asked a question.
Thought you might be capable of the logical comparison.

Never mind.
Im not. That is the point of my original question. I can appreciate the answering a question with a question routine as it forces the original questioner to come up with answers using reason and deduction. I am looking for something a little more concrete than that. I understand if that is not something you are able to do at this point, however, if you think of something in the meantime please feel free to help me out.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if the FCC would grow a backbone and classify all internet service providers as class II communication carriers .. then all ISP would be forced to give all parties equal access.

currently only America has ISP (internet service providers) that permanently keep their network saturated at 90% ... purposely degrading their own network. the logic that it costs to provide service to ISP's customer so content providers should pay to access is bogus!!!

ISP's conveniently forget their customers are already paying for their backbone costs and are already paying for internet access. only in America do major backbone providers like Level 3 offer to pay for peering upgrades at no costs to folks like Comcast and TWC to get rid of permanent 90% saturation levels. what Comcast and TWC don't tell you is they turn down those free peering upgrades.

Comcast and TWC has intentionally downgraded their own customer's web access speed. web access that their own customers are already paying for....

That is something I didnt know. I was under the impression that; with the exception of cellular services, internet speeds were primarily the result of the infrastructure in the system and not affected so much by an intentional degrading by the ISP's.
Thank you.

BTW, I still love you Hobbes.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is something I didnt know. I was under the impression that; with the exception of cellular services, internet speeds were primarily the result of the infrastructure in the system and not affected so much by an intentional degrading by the ISP's.
Thank you.

BTW, I still love you Hobbes.

details here:

Level 3 calls out Comcast, TWC and others for ‘deliberately harming’ their own broadband service

https://www.okshooters.com/showthre...-for-deliberately-harming-their-own-broadband

you've got to read the actual article by Level 3 in post #5 .. which contains technical details. which brings up a major problem with the topic of net neutrality .. not everyone are technically savy enough to understand the real issues involved.

when topic starts talking about internet backbone, global infrastructure, peering, gigabit Ethernet connections, hops, fiber, dropping packets, saturation, etc, etc .. most folk's eyes starts to glaze over ..

https://www.okshooters.com/showthre...wn-broadband&p=2503654&viewfull=1#post2503654

Last edited:

Grindstone

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On one hand, I'd love a completely free and unregulated internet. On the other, we all know better than to trust corporations to behave. I have a hard time finding middle ground. I know one of the biggest problems is the government-enforced monopoly use of infrastructure and such. Open up the market to competition and things will be better.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On one hand, I'd love a completely free and unregulated internet. On the other, we all know better than to trust corporations to behave. I have a hard time finding middle ground. I know one of the biggest problems is the government-enforced monopoly use of infrastructure and such. Open up the market to competition and things will be better.

which is exactly ass backwards to what the comcast/twc merger would do ... ALL mega mergers will have a honey moon period .. followed by HUGE spikes in costs! don't believe me .. look at what you are paying for communication costs after Ma Bell was allowed to merged back together ... look at our fuel prices after remnants of Standard Oil was allowed to MEGA merge back together.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
which is exactly ass backwards to what the comcast/twc merger would do ... ALL mega mergers will have a honey moon period .. followed by HUGE spikes in costs! don't believe me .. look at what you are paying for communication costs after Ma Bell was allowed to merged back together ... look at our fuel prices after remnants of Standard Oil was allowed to MEGA merge back together.

Look at sirius/xm sticking it in us so deep my nose is bleeding. What was a relatively inexpensive way to listen to mostly commercial free radio, with some filthy comedy channels, has jumped to an over $450 a year bill. I cancelled 2 radios last week, and threatened to cancel all of them. They gave me a permanent 51% discount on the remaining 2 radios in order for me to keep them connected. If they can do that, they are overcharging for the service.

edit - It's hard for me to support anything that Al Franken/Stuart Smalley supports, but I'm gonna side with the goofy Senator on this one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom