Only YOU Can Protect Net Neutrality

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, we can certainly trust the Federal Government to control internet speeds, content and fairness. Sounds like a good plan.

And this is the point of my original post. When it comes right down to it, I dont trust either of the sides to tell me the truth. In fact I expect them to lie in favor of their own agendas.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
would someone explain to me why substituting the control of ISP's over data with the control of the FCC is somehow better?
This is a serious question. I see the pros and cons to "net neutrality" but I am having an issue with believing more government involvement is better.

To some extent I think there's not been a sufficient harm yet to address with policy, but for who would be best suited to protect the consumers here, I do think the FCC would be in the best position for that. This isn't so much the FCC controlling the internet as it is protecting consumers from ISPs abusing net neutrality.

if the FCC would grow a backbone and classify all internet service providers as class II communication carriers .. then all ISP would be forced to give all parties equal access.

currently only America has ISP (internet service providers) that permanently keep their network saturated at 90% ... purposely degrading their own network. the logic that it costs to provide service to ISP's customer so content providers should pay to access is bogus!!!
Can you source the "only America" part of that?

ISP's conveniently forget their customers are already paying for their backbone costs and are already paying for internet access. only in America do major backbone providers like Level 3 offer to pay for peering upgrades at no costs to folks like Comcast and TWC to get rid of permanent 90% saturation levels. what Comcast and TWC don't tell you is they turn down those free peering upgrades.
Is Level 3 offering to upgrade the Comcast/TWC equipment on the other end of the peer link?

to check for yourself throttling is happening ... next time your internet access slows to a craw .. do a DSLreports speed test. which probably will come back at blistering speeds (2.5mb/sec +++). yet the streaming website you are trying to access is running at a craw (under 50kb/sec) ...

Never had that issue, with 9 people in my home there's someone streaming about 16 hours a day.

Well, we can certainly trust the Federal Government to control internet speeds, content and fairness. Sounds like a good plan.

Do you feel that the FCC does a good job applying the telecommunications rules?

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You have it upside down!
Net neutrality isn't about controlling any of those.
Just the opposite, it's about prohibiting the control of those.

Currently Open Internet Order is the prevailing regulation.

1. Transparency: ISPs should be open about how they handle traffic.

2. No blocking: As long as content is legal, an ISP is not allowed to block any site, service or device.

3. No unreasonable discrimination: ISPs are not allowed to favor some traffic over others.

It's the third item that was recently ruled as being outside the scope of FCC authority by a federal judge.
And the threat is that when ISPs are allowed to discriminate traffic they will do so in a way to their advantage instead of the consumer.

For instance, if Cox cable wants to keep as many telephone subscribers as possible they could just choke skype traffic to the point that a phone conversation becomes impossible and either skype will pay the ISP (passing the cost on to the consumer) or lose those customers.

If Cox wants to keep people from cutting the cable cord they can just choke netflix and vudu traffic down to the point that instead of watching a movie you are just
rebuffering most of the time.
Netflix has already announced plans to raise prices because they know they are likely to have to pay internet service providers to avoid traffic shaping of their service.

Notice that the ISP is not providing any new functionality. They are not innovating. They are discriminating against their rivals by crippling their products.

I don't know about you but I was always taught that more competition is better (for the consumer, not necessarily for the company) and the loss of net neutrality will absolutely result in less competition.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One other thing, where did the internet come from?

Back in the 50's, the DoD needed a foolproof way to send launch instructions to missile silos. This system needed to work even after/during a nuclear attack by the Russkies. They hired the RAND Corporation to figure it out. Several ideas were considered, including the takeover of AM radio waves/stations to send the messages. But, eventually RAND's egg heads determined that the typical Ma Bell analog telephone circuit communications could not work. Once that analog circuit was cut, it was unrecoverable and you had to start messaging all over again.

So, RAND invented digital packet communications. Using digital codes, a message packet could be given a destination address and be sent on its way. If it got interrupted, it could hunt around for different routes to get there and ultimately be reassembled into the original message (i.e., "Launch now!") This ultimately became the TCP/IP protocol--the backbone protocol of the internet. The rest is history.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back in the 50's, the DoD needed a foolproof way to send launch instructions to missile silos. This system needed to work even after/during a nuclear attack by the Russkies. They hired the RAND Corporation to figure it out. Several ideas were considered, including the takeover of AM radio waves/stations to send the messages. But, eventually RAND's egg heads determined that the typical Ma Bell analog telephone circuit communications could not work. Once that analog circuit was cut, it was unrecoverable and you had to start messaging all over again.

So, RAND invented digital packet communications. Using digital codes, a message packet could be given a destination address and be sent on its way. If it got interrupted, it could hunt around for different routes to get there and be reassembled into the original message. This ultimately became the TCP/IP protocol--the backbone language of the internet. The rest is history.
Who funded it?
Also, you left out a lot of work done by universities via grants from DoD.

Why didn't Rand or any other corp do it on their own?
Didn't they have the foresight to envision the internet on their own?

Latest posts

Top Bottom